Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its had a bad miss so I checked all the plugs wires ect...Number one is dripping with oil and has zero compression the onthers have 150. Could it be a broke ring? Thanks

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Either busted rings or a dropped valve. But likely rings if you didn't notice damage to the plug or hear any knocking sounds.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sounds and the valves seem to be moving ok no damage to the plug either.. a ring or a hole in the piston i was thinking maybe the valve is not seating all the way but with all the oil id say it in the bottom end. Guess i will need to pull the head to know whats going on

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
The easiest way I have found to get a better idea of what is wrong is to find a way to put compressed air into the spark plug hole of the bad cylinder. You will hear air coming out the carb (bad/stuck intake valve), out the exhaust system (bad/stuck exhaust valve) or out the valve cover with the oil fill cap removed. (broken rings/piston). Most likely the head is going to have to come off regardless of the issue.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have burnt a piston. I had one where I burnt a hole through the top? Had been loading the engine up pulling more than I should have. Concern there would be are any other damaged? Could you borrow a borescope from someone and take a look inside? Would be better than pulling a head just to look.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
compressed air and the scope both great ideas, I think I can use the compression test kit to rig something up to put compressed air in it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Uh- Oh Ron. Let's see what you find....you weren't running nitrous or anyhting silly like that were you? Burned piston sounds like a good guess.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike I wish lol, Im still running my simi stock motor but i have been running it hard this mite get me going on finishing the stroker tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts