Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has just come home and said that his friend's Dad say's that a Cougar is not an american car and is made of fibreglass, now.......I wonder what kitcar he is mixing MY Cougar up with.....
But, like I said, Cougar are not exactly well known around here.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Just the rusted out ones have fiberglass the originals were not glass. Must be confused w/Cvette

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
72cat said:
My son has just come home and said that his friend's Dad say's that a Cougar is not an american car and is made of fibreglass, now.......I wonder what kitcar he is mixing MY Cougar up with.....
But, like I said, Cougar are not exactly well known around here.

I don't know how you feel about gambling, but there is money to be made if he wants to make it a bet! LOL

·
6,980 Posts
How about a Cheetah?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured out eventually what he was talking about, he thought I owned a Cobra. Now I like the AC replica's, but they are not real Detroit metal, and I still don't get the connection between big cat and big snake :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Even Cobras weren't fiberglass though, they are aluminum (at least the originals were). The kits are fiberglass.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cougars are also foreign cars in the 50th state.

One time I took my Cougar (and the shopmanual) in to my local Goodyear to see if they could find the answer to a powersteering issue. When I called them in the afternoon, to see if I could pick the car up, they said "Sorry Sir - we cannot work on your car - it is a foreign car - try the dealer".

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Martin, did you go to the Goodyear down by the Alehouse off of Hana Highway? We USED to go there..... 4 tries to align my front end and 3 torn tire beads was enough to seek other suppliers.....

Back on the Cobra subject, were the original AC Cobras (pre-Shelby) aluminum too, or did they switch to that after Shelby started building them?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Original AC Cobras are alunimum bodies, with some steel reinforcement...and steel frames, that were completly triangulated for stength...
Most (people who own these cars hate the word "KIT") replicas are fibreglass over steel frames...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Speaking of fiberglass kit cars, there was also the Coyote that was in the old TV show 'Hardcastle & McCormick'

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eeewww!

·
Contributing Member
1,880 Posts
Here is a pic of a 64 AC Cobra still owned by the original owner.
(1 of 6 original owners left in the world)

Here is a news flash. Shelby International has announced that they have finalized arrangements with AC Cars Ltd. of England
(the orig makers of the Cobras) that they will start importing AC Cobras just as they did 40 years ago. Yes they are Alum.

This announcement was made on Oct 24,2003 at the opening of the Carroll Shelby exhibit at the Pererson Museum in LA, CA.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts