Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The year is 1966. Mercury was heavily promoting the soon-to-be-released Cougar with items such as Cougar burgers and Cougar wine. But the best advertising gimmick had to be when Ford snuck a spotlight (complete with the Cougar logo overlay) and projected it on the GM building in Detroit!

The first generation Cougar was designed to be a luxury Euro-style coupe. It was also know as "the Mustang's bigger cousin", since it rode on a stretched Mustang chassis. Though true, the Cougar never shone on it's own along side the Mustang. However in 1967, the Cougar sold over 150,000 cars and was named Motor Trend Car of the Year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
"Innocents, Incidents & Indiscretions"

This is the name of a book by C. Gail Warnock. He was part of the promotions team from Lincoln Mercury Public relations that pulled off that stunt. If you can find a copy it has some fasinating information in it. I have a copy I got at the Weas Coast Nationals in 1997 when we had him come and give us a presentation.
L.O.C.C.C.#: 95-92648
ISBN 0-9606746-0-8

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
signal

Very sneaky, I love it!:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Innocents, Incidents & Indiscretions

It is available from Amazon for $153.20 must be a really good book

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
ouch!!! I think they have the wrong price. I don't remember what I paid, But it was not over $35.00. I know I didn't have much cash.

I just went to Amazon.com. What they have is used starting at $58.00 to $158.20 Click on "all editions" I think $58 is more then it is worth. I also think it may be out of print. Look on Ebay.

I found this one on half.com
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=664114&domain_id=1856&meta_id=1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts