Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yall have read that I just purchased a 68 xr7 from down south. Car is in pretty nice shape and all original. From the advise I have gotten on here I am pretty convinced to not molest it's current appearance. My concern that has went unanswered as of yet is that the dealer that I bought it from (GoldenClassics) spray painted the underside of the car black so their pictures looked better. I found the car online. They even went so far as to spray the exhaust pipes and muffler silver so that it looked better than it was. Both mufflers were actually blown out on the front side! Since they spray painted the underneath can this car still be considered a survivor and would it fair well in judging in the catagory? Or Did Golden Classics ruin this aspect for me?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
You can restore the underside of the car without changing it's survivor status. Replacing the exhaust won't ruin the originality of the car.

That said, and now that you mentioned the dealer, I recall looking at the car on-line and believe that the dealer was asking a pretty good price for it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's an X-code 390 car. IMHO, you are better off restoring it if that's what you prefer. You probably won't be able to get your money back out of it anytime soon so you need to be happy with it. Do what will make you enjoy owning the car most.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes they ruined that survivor aspect of the car....for quick profit. It's called original patina. Spray bombing the underside just makes me sick---I greatly prefer original cars and that underside should have been cleaned with something like WD-40.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke to a man named Karman Waheed from CCOA,I really don't know who he is, he also thought that the survivor catagory had been eliminated once Golden Classics sprayed the bottom. Any other input from those that have had cars judged?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Harvey, not sure if Kamran gave you the link to the judging sheets, but you can see them here. Since there really haven't been any judged shows recently, I'm not sure how relevant that is (2011 Nationals, I think, are going to have judged classes). I don't think you'd be eliminated from the unrestored class, just lose some points. If you're looking for a reason to restore the car (I'm basing that on your other threads), then you don't need anyone's permission. Your opinion on the car is the most important, if not the only one that matters.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If it just a quickie spray bomb, they probably sprayed right over the dirt dust and grime. If you put on a lift and pressure wash it, I will bet that most of the paint will come right off. I rag with a little mineral spirits will probably take off the rest. Patina doesn't mean you never clean it up. I drive my cars and don't really even try to keep the underneath side clean at all, beyond the occasional wash job. It has never effected the enjoyment of my cars, by me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts