Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Your Favorite year of the Classic Cougar is?

Votes: 86 21.2%

Votes: 98 24.2%

Votes: 117 28.9%

Votes: 79 19.5%

Votes: 7 1.7%

Votes: 5 1.2%

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 1974+

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 1990+

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Uh... WHAAAZAP!

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
67's are the finest (in my mind)

When ford introduced the Mustang in '64 it was major to put it mildly. The radical-ness of the 60's was just getting rolling. The stones didn't even have 2 records out yet. As good as it was, it was lacking. Just like every new product that comes out. However huge the demand, the product was not refined. Remember the single brake master cylinder, the Fairlane carry over speedometer, and other goofy stuff. Over the next couple of years Fords engineers had their chance to get it right. By 67 most of the issues had been addressed and the Mercury Cougar was born as a crowning achievement of sorts. Up scale sports/luxury: to compete with the Jaguar and other european halmarks of quality. By 68 Ralph Nader and crew were successful in mandating safety requirements like side marker turnsignals, shoulder belts, etc. This prevented the automakers from cranking it up a notch. They were to busy meeting Federal requirements...By 69/70: the word was heavy...bigger body styles bigger and motors to lug them around...The 71-73 years brought in high gas prices and emmission standards...74 and up are somewhat awkward, perhaps they should have gone the way of the Mustang and at least tried to change with the times instead of waiting for 1999 to get back into trend setting and representing innovation.

So any ways...that's why their the best!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm partial to the 67's & 68's, one because I own a 67 and two because I think the styling is better than any other year. I hate that curved body line on the 69's and 70's, althought they did have better drive train options in those years (better HP/Wt ratio too). I did own an 85 for a while but the ex got it in the divorce:angryfi: :mad:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I voted 72 cos' its the only one I have ever seen, and its mine, and Imean in real life, not photos.

·
Registered
78 Posts
!

OUCH! ! !....

what a loaded question/poll/survey.......after reviewing alot of the responses.....i feel the air thickening amoungst the cougar community....Am I going to tell my brother cougar member that mine is better than yours.....NO.....I just feel that intensity in some responses......

this is how I look at it.......

I owned a 67 calif model (air pump) 289 low pressure four bl auto green vinyl top had the floor pump for the window wipers and washers....all original...caps and all....no mods....AND WOW!!!..I LOVED THAT CAR.....now i have a standard 1970 model.....and if i had my choice....i would have a 67 also....and a eliminator ...and also a 1971 model as well.......also....and hundreds of other cars too....BUT I THINK THE BIG ISSUE IS MONEY....ME AND MOST EVERYONE ELSE....there wouldnt be this issue if we all had the money to have a garage of all of our favorites.....just because i have a 1970 ...doesnt mean that it is my favorite.....it is the car that i have for the moment....and of course like many of you all out there and like me...we have had plenty of other cars in our time or will have.......I LOVE THEM ALL.......there...my BIG $.02 CENT WORTH........sorry for the rambling....gary

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Trust me, it aint the money, cuz there aint never enough.
Sorry I get a little over excited, please dont misunderstand me.
My cat has a long, long way to go. I'm to young to remember the sixtys, old enough to hate disco, and I grew up dreaming of one of these cars. I just recently found one that I was fortunate to buy for very little. The downside is there is very little left to work with.But it's good Dearborn steel and the numbers are all correct.
Meanwhile, That ol Texas sun just dont have no mercy...:badass:

·
Registered
258 Posts
the side panels

When it comes to the cougars, i like 67-70, cause when the 71 came out with the big ass headlights, i just don't care for it as much. The other thing is the side panels, i think the cougars are pretty hot with the side panels in the 69/70 models that had the crease all the way front to back. I'd have to agree that the front end on the 67/68 and 70 looks better though. So my vote is 69, mostly because i have one.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
70 baby
i have owned 4 70s and they looks awesome w/ the hood sticking out n the curved hideaway headlight doors. Looks stealth.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
885 Posts
Eventhough I'm looking to buy a '67-'68 right now for the heck of it, I'm partial to the 1970. Maybe I've banged my head on the hood too many times.

Steve C.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I love the 67-70's. I love the hide-away headlights. The grille is just plan awesome and there really isn't anything like it around. Everyone can tell what is a 67-70 Cougar. Except a couple times at the local gas station, some people commented on my car. They said what year in you Mustang? I don't have a damn Mustang!!! I hate correcting people, hahahah.

MeanMerc68

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
1970, Just because its the year I have. As far as looks, I cant pick a favorite (67-73)

·
Registered
180 Posts
For me it is 69. But I would NEVER turn away a classic cat! :cool: Somethings never go out of style.

·
Registered
965 Posts
My son and I both prefer the 69 over all the other years, styling wise. However, I do like the big blocks in all body years, the high back seats of the 70 and the on column ignition feature. Other than that, however, the clean design of the 69 cannot be beat, in my book. We've owned 12 '69's, so I guess I'm a little biased.

Jim

·
Registered
206 Posts
I prefer the 67-68 cars myself. They obviously have that awesome 60's styling (aggressive looks, tasteful chrome appointments, long hood/short deck lid look, v8 power, etc). I don't mind the 69-70 cars, but that big crease down the sides always turned me off. It made them look like a Buick or Olds product. The less is more approach is what I like I guess. I always thought it would be cool to smooth the crease out on a 69 vert if I had the funds and technical how-to to pull it off. To each their own however...

My $.02

21 - 40 of 65 Posts