Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off I have to say I'm a Chevy guy so I might have some dumb questions. My 68 cougar is my first real ford. What are torque boxes? What do they do where are they at and what else can I to to stiff up my cougar besides a full roll cage.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here are pics from my car. All are from the drivers side. 1st pic is located inside the front fender well in the back. 2nd pic is the bottom of it. 3rd pic is the back side and where the hole is, that is where the fuel line goes through it. 4th pic is inside the car. Where the floor is rusted, that is the toeboard and the top of the torque box is under it. Starting in '68, there is a torque box on the passengers side also ('67's didn't have them on pass. side even though they can be added). Here's a link to a pic of a repro drivers side torque box: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/sta117l.html . You can stiffen up the unibody by adding subframe connectors by either welding or bolting them on. John DSC01221.jpg DSC01222.jpg DSC01224.jpg DSC01225.jpg

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The torque boxes are the plates under your car, just aft of the front wheels, between the rockers and the subframe, you spot them easy when you bow down and look under your car.
To stiffen it up, install an one piece export brace, and there is also a straight rod that gets mounted between the shock towers, otherwise subframe connectors can be installed, beefier swaybars

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks guys I have seen those on my cougar and now know what they are. I planned on the sub connectors and what I think is called the Monte Carlo bar was just wondering if there's anything else that I could do. Are weld in sub connectors stronger than bolt ons

·
Registered
913 Posts
OK thanks guys I have seen those on my cougar and now know what they are. I planned on the sub connectors and what I think is called the Monte Carlo bar was just wondering if there's anything else that I could do. Are weld in sub connectors stronger than bolt ons
To answer your question. sub conn., monte carlo and export brace, and yes weld in.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+ 2 always weld where structural needs are required

1 - 6 of 6 Posts