Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a tough cookie to get hauled off, it was in the ground, didnt want to leave, but 0finally it made it on its traile P1030960.jpg r.This frame was really falling apart where ever you grabbed it,but my guy finally got it on and out of here. Looks like a scene from Christine movie..
P1030965.jpg

Attachments

·
11,000 Posts
Why bother? It is toast.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
LOL! Man, you shoulda sent some before and after removal pics in to Cars in Barns!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well, was it a '65 Galaxie or a '66?

Kinda sad, though it was obviously WELL BEYOND 'lost cause' status.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P1030929.jpg I believe it was a 65, but not forsure, it had some parts, it was a 352 motor sitting in it, but the frame underneath,someone had actually tried to weld in some new rails, and they came right apart, last time it was moved, and this time, they came all teh way apart, you open the trunk and you could see all ground underneath its was hanging on by I think the body parts only. But its gone,have 2 66 tbirds trying to decide where to put the parts from them here soon. Loaded with 390 big blocks,4 barrel style,disc brakes,power steering tilt swing away columns,but bodies are rusty too,but alot of good used parts still on them. Hope to find some tbird fans so they can get those parts. This is what the car looked like before it was grabbed out and rolled up like fruit roll up.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The '65 tailights were more rectangular; with the "long sides" oriented up and down. 1966 had square ones like your picture.

I'm surprised to see it was only a Galaxie 500..... thought the 'hash marks' on the sail panel were only for the Galaxie 500XL models. Have to go dig though my Mom's old photo albums for pics of my Dad's '66; because I don't remember his car having them. Maybe it was something 'extra special' for the 2-door cars. Pop's car had a 390; I think 352 was the base engine in 1966; but don't quote me on that!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My first car was a 66 Galaxie 500. I think all the 66 2-door hardtops except the LTD had the c-pillar hashmarks.

The curved c-pillar on the 2-door hardtop and sweeping rear fender line on the 66 Fords were different from the 65. The front fenders and door sheet metal were different as well.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My 66 Ltd has a round badge on the C pillar. Hope you saved the emblems off of that 66.
839galaxie9.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My pulling guy bought the car for me, so he got the car out of my place and did with it what he could, but I didnt get the chance to get the emblems, thought about it,but he bought it and I didnt want to take somethign off he might want.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks, yelo!
I had "looked it up" in a couple of my Mom's photo albums, and Dad's 4-door HT 500 was indeed bare on the c-pillars. Dad had gotten a fairly loaded car, couldn't figure out why it didn't have those three bells and whistles.
As far as the sheetmetal lines go..... well, I was 4 when he bought the car new, 9 when he traded it in. When Dad bought the car, one brother was playing in a locally popular band at night and selling the crap outta Mustangs at our Ford dealership during the day. He wasn't working the day Dad decided to go hunting for a replacement for his '62 2-door Galaxie; probably wasn't interested in dealing with 'The Old Man' anyway.
The other brother (Civil Engineer) already owned a Mustang and was about to trade his '65 Fairlane 500 for a '67 Cougar. With influences like that, was 'baby brother' gonna be all that interested in what kind of a land-yacht Dad bought???
Looking back (and with 40+ years of 'experience' since then); it was a cool car, indeed. Not as cool as the '71 429-4V LTD Brougham that replaced it, but cool all the same. Of course, if those three red bars with the 390 superimposed on them had been instead been a "7 Litre" badge, well........

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's definitely a 66. My parents had a 65 that I remember well. Like sleeping on the package tray...haha. People would look to have parents arrested for that now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts