Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the fact that my car was plagued with fuel problems all day long. I was only able to make one full pass down the strip. Unfortunatley I started off in 2nd gear so 85% of the run was in 2nd gear. The car still ran a 9.1 at 76 mph with a 1.8 60ft. :eek2: After that the gremlins really started to go to work. The carburetor started flooding tremendous amounts of fuel out of the vent tubes on several occasions. Anytime the engine was held at any rpm above 3000 for more that a couple of seconds fuel would begin to shoot ot out the front vent tube and into the intake and motor. I was pretty darn sure it was my regulator but some other people seem to think that my front float may have a small hole in it which is causing it to not rise and shut off the flow of fuel into the bowl which in turns floods everything. Anyhow it made for a long day and to make things worse, in the staging lanes as I was trying to start, it backfired and of course fuel went everywhere and the car caught fire. Luckily nothing was seriously damaged except the underside of the hood. The top side of the hood's paint also bubbled from the heat. :cry: All in all, not a good day. The one pass I made did seem promising since I ran the entire run in 2nd. gear. The gears and tires seemed to make a dramatic difference. We'll see in a couple of weeks. :D

Kirk

Heres a picture that the Raceway has posted on their website of my car:

http://www.navasotaraceway.com/0105tt/kirk tubbs coll.jpg

·
11,000 Posts
Looks like a nice car Kirk.

If fuel is coming out the vent tubes the fuel is not shutting off so either a bad float or too much fuel pressure could cause it. What engine / trans are you running? The car looks nice!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Kirk,
gotta hand it to ya, you got 1 fantastic looking cougar there. Hope to get to see it in person w/ you someday.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Lucky you! The only racing action we're likely to see at our local track these days would be snowmobiles! Today's high - Bah! (been dropping since midnite). Right now it is 8 degrees Farenheit with blowing snow, winds out of the west at 20-25. Brrrrr!

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
sounds to me like you have a bit of dirt in the needle/seat of the inlet side of carb preventing the fuel from shutting off. Also can be improper adjustment especially if its a Holley,imho.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after going over and examining everything I decided to replace the fuel pressure regulator. That indeed fixed the problem. It was not my floats or needle and seats. Just a little info for everyone if you ever experience this type of problem. It has to be rare because I have been dealing with cars for over 15 years and this is the first time a holley regulator has ever crapped out on me.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I've had a similar problem as has a friend of mine. Seems as though the spring will sometimes get kicked off of the little post on the diaphragm. That kills the regulator. A quick R&R gets it running again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts