Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn't "Oil in the coolant". It was Stop Leak from the previous owner trying to stop the heater core leak.

My kitty now runs "almost" 100% better than before. I had it in a shop that my father used for his car to be rebuilt (1963 Triumph Spitfire) and they found out a few things about it and fix them.

Now I do have a question (or 2 or 3): #1 - I have an aftermarket shifter on it (4 speed top loader). It's a Hurst shifter. I have no backup lights. The OEM wire is there but apparently there is no where on the Hurst to hook it up. Is this correct or was something over looked? If anyone has a way to get the lights to work please let me know.

#2 - I'm going to be installing the Manual steering conversion unit from Laurel Mountain Mustangs. Since the power steering pulley powers the water pump, what other ways are there to run the water pump? What would happen if I gutted the power steer box with the pulley on it? All I need is some place to put the belt on and adjust the tension.

FYI = Laurel Mountain Mustang is a GREAT place for parts at decent prices. I'm surprised I have not seen them mentioned on here recently. Also another good place is Ken's Cougars, another decent priced website.

Kitty will still be down for a while until I get the upper control arms/spring seats/springs installed, and a wiper motor/washer, heater core, Pertronix ignition upgrade, wheels and tires. Speaking of which, I've got Magnum 500 wheels. The fronts are for disk brakes and the rears will fit drum brakes. They are in very good condition. What do you think they would be worth? I'm going with 15" stock steel wheels and 70 series tires. I don't have all the cash available to buy both so I was going to offer the shop a trade + cash deal.

I think that's about it for now. I'm going to be out of the loop for a while. I'm having my right hip replaced in about 16 hours and then I'm not able to drive for something like 4-6 weeks. In the mean time my brother is going to be doing the work on the Cougar for me.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I imagine you are missing the switch/bracket on the trans for the reverse lights. There should be a pigtail type connector I think....

#2 Why couldn't you remove the PS pump and just get a shorter fan belt?...should be all you would need. Thats one less component eating power if you really don't want PS anyway.

Glad to hear ya got it going!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You need to buy the Hurst bracket and switch to get reverse lights. On the PS thing, no gutting the pump would not work, but you could connect the output to the return and just let the pump circulate fluid. Otherwise, I am thinking non-PS cars used the alternator to run and adjust the WP belt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good luck with surgery, you guys are spot on about the hurst, I have the same setup, have the bracket and switch for the backup lights,but never got it installed. Hope your clutch is easier than mine to depress, for the sake of your hip alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts