Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not just why cougar, but why have you chose american muscle, why aint yall riding around in honda civics and acura integras?,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Because we like going fast without a 500 shot and 2 turbos.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used to be very much into sportscars (we all know them, ferrari, lamgorghini etc...). Then one day I saw a special on Discovery channel about the muscle car era. How kids were racing at the traffic lights and the car manufacturers building cars with as many hp's to do so: awesome (I was about 13).
Besides that, the sound of the V8 is sooooo cool and unheard around here.
Last but not least, the styling (think: 71 'cuda, chargers, firebirds, corvettes, gto...). That's just a sight unseen as ami-classics are generally limited to impalas and Lincoln MK IV's (the huge family cars).
Also, I like the fact that american cars from back then were loaded with gimmicks that here weren't standard options untill about 10 years ago (p/s, a/c, power windows...).

Anyway, muscle cars are just way cooler!

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here Here!

The muscle cars just have a prescence allmost even a personallity. The reason why I chose a Cougar is easy. I have seen just about everything and anything done to a Mustang, but a Cougar is a little less seen. My generation doesn't know what a classic cat looks like. So whay they are showing there late model mustangs, I have something a little different. ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Muscle America

No other car companys in the world other than American car companys could come up with the body styles and the kick ass motors like us American. 70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i confess!! i USED to be into the rice rockets before i really knew anything about them and well, obviously before i knew anything about cars. i was about 13 or 14 and i saw the light when i found out that most of the imports only had 4 cylinders. i mean, i knew that Mustangs had V8s and so did old Muscle cars but i didnt know that 4 cylinders was all that those other cars were packing. so then i was changed and brought to the promise land. theres nothing like the sound of a V8 and cant forget the toruque. i mean hell i was working on a Camry this last week ( painting the bumper ) its a nice car. V6, leather and is REASONABLY well powered. BUT while it is better powerwise than alot of new cars out there, its still lacking the kick in your ass tourqe that i get from my car. its amazing what two more cylinders and roughly double the displacement will do for ya lol.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Is this a question just for the young whipper snappers? I'm 47 and I grew up on Muscle Cars......GTOs, Mach1s, GTXs, Barracudas, Eliminators, Fairlane Cobras, Duster/Demon 340s, Chargers......you name it, I've probably driven it, either mine, a friend's or in the family.

For me it's about brute strength, cubic inches and style. It was an era that will never be repeated. New cars are nice, my old 94 SHO Taurus (Yamaha 3.0 220 HP) was quick and fun. My 96 Mark VIII with a "little" 4.6 V8 32 valves 280 HP will smoke up the rear tires really well! But it's still not the same thing as my 428CJ Cougar or to a lesser extent my 460 Mark III.

As for the tacky little Civics with the big spoiler, tomato can exhaust tip (singular LOL), and decals?????? Yuk!!!!! I'll get a motorcycle or a Moped before I subject myself to that, for fuel economy reasons.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Amen, Tim... Remember, there is no substitute for cubic inches.....And a big block cougar is the best fix...

Bruce

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
WHY ask why?
im 29 and i was brought up around american made class A grade iron. Imports are ok for grocery getters and econo boxes but there is nothing and i do mean NOTHING then the sound of all 8 cylinders (well except for the v6s of the grand national) firing up n hearing the sound of deep throat rumble then the sound compared too 100 pissed off mosquitos in a coffee can. I am not knocking imports but to me i am born bred and raised on american muscle and i will never change my routes.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
No other car companys in the world other than American car companys could come up with the body styles and the kick ass motors like us American.
Haven't been to Australia have you. We've been building local muscle cars from the early 60's, including the fastest Clevelands in the world - with technology sent back to your Nascar teams. Guess where your 350hp GTO comes from (although the engine does come from the US) and where the engineering for the next generation Mustang platform was done

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea i'd have to go with the sound and power. i mean you can buy an ok civic or some other import but you spend like 20 grand on just the car and thats not enough you have to spend another like 10 to 15 grand on it just to make it run and look "good." which is funny cause no matter how much money you put into a rice burner, you'll never get it to look, sound, and even drive good. the classic muscle is like a man's car. its got the look (w/o putting any mods on it or anything), its got the sound (w/o the mondo sized exhaust tips that make it sound like a beefed up weed-eater) and finally you have the power. i mean you don't have to get any boosters or turbos (not that a supercharger here and there doesn't hurt ;) ) but i mean stock factory cougar, mustang, chevelle, gto...ect will kick any imports ass in looks,sound, and prob power. yea so i also always saw the muscle cars as a "man's car" (add tim the tool man taylors man grunt :) for all you that have seen the show :D ) and some rice burner is for some spoiled little white kid (or asian) so yea i thought i'd go for the manly one :) well thats my reasons why but i do go with dropcat in asking why :) you don't need to ask why

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
the age of good cars left in 1974 pretty much whith mandated smog and the government decided what cars should look like. thats why twenty years later your hard pressed to tell what something is since the governmet wants us driving little econo boxes homogonized into jelly bean look alikes. even today there is no true muscle car in the sense of what a muscle car was. very few kids today can buy a mustang gt or mach 1 unless they are dealing. growing up these cars were available new off the showroom floor devoid of many amenities we now take for granted today. Actually detroit as far as im concerned has lost the vision and it has been taken up by the japanees companys. today if you want muscle at an affordable price with good styling well dont look to detroit, shame really. Why do i stick with old iron? because i hate SUV's with a passion and cars that fit my 6'2'' frame are 4 doors and upwards around 30 grand! I can drive my old iron many years on that much dough. my brother just bought a new cavalier. i sat in it and look like a dad getting into his sons gokart. no leg room and i would have to drive with my shoulder out the window to get any decent room. both knees were up at the stearing wheel. besides when i look at my engines in my classics i know what everything does and how it works, while on my newer ranger 94 most of what is on it i havent much of a clue or if i do know i am not really up on how it works. Why american iron? mostly because it was an age when cars were designed by men not computers and were pleasing to the eye. Engines were not mandated by the government to what they were nor to the size. and they were affordable. in 1967 you could get a 67 cat for around the 2500.00 range or there abouts. the average house cost 15,000.00, today the average house is around here is around 100,000 and a mustang gt is around 30,000. if you can add you can see the price diffrence today from yesterday as the car is about 1/3 the price of the home yet in 67 it was 1/5 the cost. all that computer stuff has a price and it aint cheap.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I'm into American Muscle because that's what I was exposed to growing up. I'm 36 now but when I was 10 or so, all the guys I idolized in the neighborhood had GTO's, Nova's, 442's and Chevelles. I, too, love the heavy V8 sound.

Plus, that's what I enjoy working on. I can't stand rolling under a car and having to roll back out to go get the metric tools. My 88 T-Bird and my 84 Olds daily driver are a pain to work on with needing both SAE and Metric tools.

The import cars I've seen all seem to look gaudy. All of the modifications look like they were just thrown at the car rather than integrated into it. But, I do have to admire those guys for diving into all the electronics and fuel injection computer stuff to make these cars really run. That does impress me but not enough to want to do it myself.

Mark

·
Registered
965 Posts
Call me old fashioned, but we live in America, and should support our country in every way possible. I grew up in the muscle car era and it was great! My first heart throb was a red/white 55 Nomad with a 396, 2 4's, 4 sp that was kick.....ss!! I now own a 55 Nomad for this reason and some day it will kick...ss!! Over the years, I have owned many nice muscle cars and they all had one thing in common. Every time I turned that key, I felt alive inside. Only the older cars, especilly a big block one, can make you feel this way. I am fortunate that my son shares this passion and when we pull our cars out, we are always getting thumbs up and "nice car" from everywhere. How many times do you get that from any other type of car.
Of the types of autos I have owned, the Cougar owners are the best, frienly, helpful, non critical of flaws you might have and at a car show are just glad you showed up!
Also, we can work on these cars, unlike newer ones. Currently, we have the entire dash and wiring harness off the car redoing it. Try that with a new one, Ha! You have to be a person who loves them because there is always something to do, but overall the best hobby I know.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
2 Things:

It seems that the discussion has taken a couple of different directions: 1 Why the American muscle car was chosen, and 2 Why old American muscle is better.
Why I love American muscle cars: :D I am in my thirties and grew up watching Dukes of Hazard and my dad had a 69 Charger. That was pretty cool getting to say to the other middle school kids "Hey, my dad has one like that!" (I know it was a 68 in the show, but close enough for a kid.) I also grew up listening to both my parents and grandparents tell stories of when my father had his 68 Super-bee he bought new from the factory and my grandfather had his 68 Charger, also new from the factory. They never got more enthusiastic than when they would tell these stories. Then in high school, a friend of mine got a new Porsche for his birthday (he was rich, I was not). We rode around in it some and he even let me drive it. It was quick and fun. But then, my dad let me start driving his Charger with the 318. Even though the driver side had been hit and he could not afford the repair and the vinyl top was dry-rotted and peeling off, that car made me feel a way that the Porsche never did. The size, weight, and power gave a feeling of invincibility. Sure the Porsche was fast, but the Charger had POWER. Been a fan since middle school and a fanatic since the first time I romped down on the accelerator. Why cougar? My first car was an 81 stang. Loved it. My brother's first was a 65. Loved it more. Now, there are too many mustangs on the road. I never see a Cougar other than mine. Occasionally I hear of other sightings, but I haven't seen one myself.
As to the second topic: There are only two cars in my opinion that today have the power of the cars in the 60's and early 70's and a unique design that sets them apart from other cars: The Prowler and Viper. The problem is, you can't afford them unless you are rich. Muscle cars were available to the masses. Today, you can't tell an accord from a lexus, and all these kids driving around :angryfi: with huge spoilers on their cars and "tricked out" hatchbacks with tiny little tires and lights on the underside :)confused: I guess they want to see what's under the car as they are driving) look absolutely ridiculous. These cars sound like they have a 250cc engine in them. And it never fails. I could be in a 440 hemi car and they would still rev the engine and bounce the car like they want a go at me. It's almost pathetic. Sorry for the tirade, but this is a bit of a sore spot for me.

ALL MUSCLE CARS RULE!

·
Registered
889 Posts
couldn't have said it any better

I was watching the Barret-Jackson Auction so the cars are coming through and the one play by play guy goes "When do think we will start seeing some vintage jappanese cars come through"The other guy almost swallode his mike and says,"Well I think its going to be quite some time I don't think there is much demand for their styling"That made my day.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Muscle vs. Import

MUSCLE: The pleasant rumble coming from an oversized cam
IMPORT: The rumble from way too much stereo bass

MUSCLE: Your club's decal proudly displayed in the corner of your rear-quarter window
IMPORT: Decal's everywhere, with NONE of those parts anywhere

MUSCLE: Virtually every nut and bolt replaced by you
IMPORT: Virtually every bolt-on known to man

MUSCLE: One twelve-volt battery starts the engine, and runs the accessories
IMPORT: One twelve-volt battery starts the engine, and eight more are needed to make it jump up and down

MUSCLE: The throaty sound of a pair of Flowmasters
IMPORT: The tinny sound of one chromed #10 can

MUSCLE: Fifteen-inch wheels surrounded by a significant amount of American rubber
IMPORT: Twenty-inch wheels surrounded by a skinny tire whose name you can't pronounce

Anyone care to add to the list...

·
Registered
180 Posts
It is all about individuality. Those imports all the same, with same add ons. Really with all the bolt-ons they add to those cars, who can tell them apart??? :confused: When you see a 69 Cougar or 66 Mustang, you know what it is. If you don't you want to! I love the feeling of cruising down the road in my Cat. To me there is NO better place on Earth, then behind the wheel of that car.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hey its almost Easter Time I get a kick out of who can decorate the best 4 wheel egg its about all you can do with'em

1 - 20 of 33 Posts