Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 1969 Convertible XR7 had a "Cougar" emblem on the trunk lid passenger side.
I was told by several people that this should be an "XR7" emblem.
Well I finally got around to getting an "XR7" emblem and I have removed the "Cougar" emblem and I'm trying to figure out where exactly the lettering should be placed.
My initial research seems to indicate there was no exact placement beyond the passenger side back near the corner.
I've seen pictures that have it placed approximately 3/4 on an inch above the trim and 2 inches in from the passenger trunk lid edge, and that looks pretty good.
Does anyone have any advice or measurements from their 1969 XR7?
Also, my lettering has the "XR" physically together and the "7" is separate, any advice on there placement relative to each other would also be helpful.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thx,
Jay

·
Registered
270 Posts
The XR 7 letters on my 69 vert are long gone but the glue marks are still there and may be of some help. Enclosed are 2 pics with a measuring tape next to the glue marks. The glue marks start 3/4 inch + 2 lines up from the molding.

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finished fixing the paint imperfections left from the removal of the prior "Cougar" emblem (as best as I could) and installed the "XR7" emblem in the location that best covered up some of the remaining paint defects. About 3/4 of an inch above the trim and 2 inches in from the right. If I didn't have the paint issues to hide I probably would have installed it about 3 inches from the right and maybe an inch above the trim, but this works for me.
Jay
My Cars XR7 Location.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts