Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Cougar, so be gentle with me. I bought a 69 XR7 and am going to try to turn it into an Eliminator - at least in looks. It had a white (cream?) interior and vinyl top:

The plan is to re-do the interior and vinyl top in black, add a black hood scoop, black chin spoiler, black rear spoiler, and black Eliminator stripes. Hopefully a nice set of Magnum 500 wheels also. Here is the progress to date - stripped and primed top and stripped interior.

In keeping with the Eliminator theme, I am NOT putting the XR7 emblems back on the sides of the roof. Anybody have anything they want to trade for them???

Jeff

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You might want to consider removing the vinyl top completely. Not sure if the Eliminator stuff will look good with the vinyl top. Good luck.. looks like you have a nice cat there.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
What are you looking to get in trade for the sail panel medallions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeloxr7 -

The boss (wife) recommended that I hold on to the medallions until after I have the new vinyl top on - just in case she likes it better with them. Since this is going to be basically her car to drive to shows,cruises, I think I'd better wait. You know what they say - happy wife, happy life. If I (she) decides not to put them on, I'll PM you for a trade for something. Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
cougar.jpg

Well, IMO a vinyl top can look nice with eliminator kit. (My previous Cat).

/Tommy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did they ever make an eliminator with a vinyl top? I like the vinyl on mine but will think hard about removing it if i ever paint my car again.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Did they ever make an eliminator with a vinyl top? I like the vinyl on mine but will think hard about removing it if i ever paint my car again.
There are zero known Eliminators with a factory installed vinyl top. There are cases of dealer installed vinyl tops on an Eliminator.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are zero known Eliminators with a factory installed vinyl top. There are cases of dealer installed vinyl tops on an Eliminator.
Dealer installed is good enough for me! Besides, who is going to know except a few million Cougar fanatics? :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is that with ROLL BARS in the background?

Dale in Indy

That is my other toy - Factory Five Roadster. (Some call it a Cobra replica or kit car - call it whatever you want!). I bought it about half-done in 2006 and spent the next 5 years finishing it. Jaguar Racing Green Pearl, silver stripes, black leather interior.

Powered by a Ford Racing crate 302 rated at 345 hp, but I added a few more go-fast things to it, including a modified EFI from a Saleen Mustang. Never on the dyno but guess it has around 400 hp at flywheel. Plenty for a 2100 pound, 90 inch wheelbase go-kart!

Taking it to the Autobahn 3.56 mile race track in Joliet next month. I hope it - and me - come home in one piece! It is loud and stupid fast. The Cougar is going to be a cruiser, something I can drive in the rain.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I were to do an eliminator I would definitely not do a vinyl top. I just don't think it would look as good especially if your hood scoop, chin spoiler, stripes and rear spoiler is black. Having a black vinyl top might be too much (at least for me). Maybe with a darker color paint on the rest of the car it can look pretty sweet. I dont think it would look good with that eliminator orange color. My style is a more darker color in the first place though. Im going dark green with black hood scoop and spoiler on my 67 xr7. I want it to look black at night. Dropped a bit in front also to give it that look like the cougar is stalking its prey. Good luck with your 69.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
coug69 -

I agree, black vinyl top would probably not look good with the eliminator orange. I'm sticking with the dark green that my Cougar is already painted, even though it is a little darker than the original 1969 green, and they probably didn't make a dark green Eliminator. That's what is nice about clones - you can do as much or as little as you want to them and not have to worry about exact originality.

After I took off the original white vinyl top and gunk underneath, I discovered that the factory did not finish the roof on some cars that were ordered with vinyl tops. The roof is pretty rough and would require a LOT of work to finish with paint. They didn't even bother to grind down some of the joints and weld seams! So, for the sake of time, expense, and effort, she is getting a new black vinyl top. As for the stance, mine already has air shocks on the rear, so I can easily give it the old muscle car stance - and fat tires to match! Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah rusted roof seems to be a trend with vinyl tops from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Air shocks destroy the ride of the car, are hard on the front end and you may want to look at where the shock mounts to the body every once in a while to see if you need to have the cracks welded up as they can get over a foot long.
Very cool "go cart" and the cougar looks great without the spoilers and hood scoop. Maybe see if you can find an extra hood to drill and cut if yours is real nice as 69 hoods are getting hard to come by.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Nice cars. Are you going with new upholstery or dyeing the white black? The reason I ask is I lost my white seat backs in a fire. I would be very interested in buying yours.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is a beautiful F5 Cobra. I think your wife's car is in capable hands. For me, I would hang onto everything. A future owner might want them, or you could change your mind. As for the vinyl top it's your decision. I removed mine many years ago, the body paint man welded in the holes so there has been no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts