Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not yet, but coming soon with a little help from the board.

I have located a new factory in China that does custom seat covers for new cars. They are willing to run small quantities of seat cover sets, so they might be able to do the leather and vinyl seat covers for our cars.

To start, is the right price to get you guys off the fence and ordering new seat covers?

Here is what would be helpful:

Is the price right? Yes_____ No_______ it ought to be__________

What would you need? Year_____ Color_________ Quantity________

None of this is binding in any way.

If we go forward, we will need to get some good color samples for each year and color for which there is interest. We will also need to get some used covers that are good enough to use as samples. I will recommend to Don at WCCC that we give a substantial discount to the folks that provide the pattern sets.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Could individual pieces be ordered? I think $1200 is fair for the complete set, but I only need fronts. What about an all leather option for those of us not as concerned with originality.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I need a set in Parchment and a set of Saddle. You price is substantially cheaper than what I paid for a dark blue set from John (who's peeps wanna get out of the business) Your timing seems to be perfect.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Price OK by me.....IF..... they are good quality and fit right. Having all leather would be an option I would choose if available.
I would take one set for 1970 all leather in the green and yes I realize the all leather would cost more.
I have no problem paying good money for a good product, but I would be happier to pay more for it to be made in North America.
I am so tired of see jobs shipped to China. Can't we find someone here to make these?
Couldn't we find a custom uphostery shop that could make these up as fill in jobs when they are slow?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Could individual pieces be ordered? I think $1200 is fair for the complete set, but I only need fronts. What about an all leather option for those of us not as concerned with originality.
This is available now...go to your local shop, tell em what you want, they'll find some material, sew it up and install it for you.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Not for the price Bill is proposing. I was simply asking whether we could break up sets for those of us who don't need the whole works.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Having all leather would be an option I would choose if available.
I would take one set for 1970 all leather in the green and yes I realize the all leather would cost more.
Good idea! And it would really not cost that much extra... Been trying to get someone in North America to do a correct leather kit for a decade, no luck.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The price sounds good, Johns Classic Cougar quoted me like 1500 for the front leather buckets on my xr7. Course he stated that it will be the correct grain leather and such. and they are made in the USA> I would rather pay a little more for made here at home. Kinda like some other parts I see, some will cost me a lot more for made here but those are the ones I want.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Good idea! And it would really not cost that much extra... Been trying to get someone in North America to do a correct leather kit for a decade, no luck.
I've been doing custom sheepskins for motorcycles and have actually been considering getting into the interior biz, since it actually pays way better than engine work and there's a steady clientele. As a side business. Not full time.
Sheepskins have turned out to be a steady side business, surprisingly enough.

With the ownership of classic Mustangs and Cougars shifting toward middle aged folk and away from poor young people,I think this is a great time to make this happen in this segment of the market, regardless of who does it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have a friend that did interior work for RM Restoration. These are the same people that put on the RM auctions and I just got off the phone with him. He would be willing to accommodate us at a good price if there was a need/demand. I told him the grain of the leather and color would have to be right on and he said there would be no problem with that. He is going to check to see what leather is going for at his supplier and get back to me tomorrow. He also said that if you want all leather, that would not be a problem, probably a small up charge. I also asked about giving a discount to the one who supplied a good template and that also was no problem.

I know having something like this made in north America and not china would be better. If anyone is interested in this guy doing it for us and especially if John's people want out, this is a good lead and for probably a better price.
Any takers? put your hands up and we will see what kind of price he will give us. I will chime in tomorrow with his price.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If I was back to work I'd say 1 68 Front & Rear Dark Blue and 1 68 front Dark Blue and 1 69 Dark Ivy Front.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Is the price right? Yes:__X__ No_______ it ought to be__________

What would you need? Year:_'67__ Color:_Saddle Tan XR7_ Quantity:____1___

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would take a set for my 67 in black. But like others have said they would have to be correct and also fit right. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money for crap.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Leather and made in America. Regardless of the price, I would not purchase from anywhere else. I do need a full set(2 front, back upper and lower) all leather and black, black, black.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hate to be blunt but... made in China, no way. Part of the reason our economy is having such a hard time is because we just don't 'make' anything anymore. As others have said, I would pay more for 'made in usa'.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I"ll take a front leather set in ginger for my 73 XR7. I would be willing to be giving them my front buckets as a pattern. I also have an extra set of the vinyl inserts if they would need them. I"m about 90 minutes away from RM. I could get the seats as a pattern to him with no problem. My passenger seat is very good and my driver has a severe tear in the bottom. I am in great need of what is being offered. Send me a message if need be. Thanks,Dave.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blunt is good. That is the wonderful thing about America, we all have lots of choices.

There are a few places that will make covers today, and they need to charge around $2200 a set.

This is for people that don't have $2200 to spend that would like to have some very high quality seat covers for a lot less money.

Its your money and your choice.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts