Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have someone interested in buying 69 XR7 gauges for a 70 Cougar Std. to convert his dash to XR7. I have the complete dash wiring harness to include with it. Will this 69 setup work in a 70 dash ? Is there anything else needed?

·
Registered
889 Posts
OH My! you should us in the other thead the more the merrier.I think I got mine figured out.But you have to match the right ribbon color to the correct harness.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
OK You catz lol you can't put 69 wiring in a 70 due to the ignition switch to begin with but everything and I mean everything is diff in a 70 harness over a 69 red or blue.The only bits that interchange are clock lights switches except ign,dash cluster will but 70 has white letterring and 69 has phantom lettering on red warning lights both cougar and xr7.You can switch the ribbons whatever way you like as long as you match a red ribbon to a red harness and a blue to a blue. The 70 cluster will work verbatum in a red situation. Hope this clears up some but will likey foul the sale unless of course you can supply the entire xr7 harness frt engine area as well as alt and complete dash loom. Taillite wiring is all same 69 70 cougar and xr7 so it knee dent be changed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Ray. This is what I thought, but my friend was very persistent for this dash. I certainly would not want anyone to have problems in this area and remembered about the discussion on the red and blue ribbons . Anyone else.

Jim

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
droptop, I know of someone that might be interested in the 69 xr7 underdash wiring harness and guages. What are you getting for the set?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Cluster confusion,Ray you should put this stuff in the tech section,maybe that why alot of people are buying wiring harnesses.Nothin beat a person in here that found his cougar was done with phone wire.Hellllo!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts