Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting here looking at some old treads about the original Rader wheels for the XR7-G which I think made the car looking a lot more unique and and started wondering if these wheels could be reproduced.

With modern technology, improved alloys and CNC machines I would believe it should be possible to make low series of perfect reproductions that are not only great looking, but also unlike the originals safe to use on a car.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, or could it be done? I know nothing about this, but I think it is a cool idea.

If someone made them at least I would be willing to pay a little extra to get a set for my XR7-G

·
11,000 Posts
Gry,

I think that one of the custom wheel makers like Foose for example could easily make a set for you. The design of the Rader wheel was fine, they just had terrible quality control. You could have a single piece modern version made on CNC tooling easily if you had an original to borrow. Note - it would not be cheap!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Some of the high end show cars have a set of one-off custom wheels made for them, so I'm sure it could be done.

I'm sure the time and money involved would be the issue.

It is a shame that the wheels were recalled. I think they looked nice and added an extra touch of exclusivity to the G.

My G didn't come with them but if they were available I would love to have a set.

BTW, famed Kustom Car builder George Barris used to use the Rader wheels quite a bit. This is a vintage pic of one of the Sonny & Cher Mustangs that Barris built.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think the Rader wheels look great. I didn't notice them on the Sonny and Cher Mustangs. I wonder when those Mustangs sold at B/J auction if they had Rader wheels.
Steven

·
Registered
735 Posts
When I heard that the Sonny and Cher Mustangs had been restored and were going to be sold at BJ I made sure to look and see if the Cher's Mustang still had the Raders and it didn't.

Not sure when and for what reason but they were removed.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
If there is enough interest, I can get these made.

Here is what I think we might want to consider: We would need to put together a group buy where the wheels were sold before they were produced. Basically we would be eliminating dealer mark up (sorry Don, Ken, John, and John...) I would need to have a good original example to work from, and I don't have one.

I would estimate that I can get them made for about $400 per wheel ($1200 set of four plus shipping), this would include a center cap, also made of billet aluminum, with a recess for the XR7-G decal, but no decal. We would need to get the decals from Ken and I would see if he would make us a deal on those. I have no idea what the original lug nuts were like so I can't comment on that.

We would need to run 100 wheels, (25 sets of 4) to make this work. I need three sets for my cars, so that gets us down to 22.

Were these wheels used by any other manufacturer? Maybe there is some other group that would be interested.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would buy a set of 4 for my G car.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I don't like the looks of them so count me out.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'll bet some of the Moostang guys would be interested.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The lady (I think?) that bought the S&C Mustangs would probably want a set :)

I know they were available in bolt patterns for other manufactures, even four bolt patterns, but I don't know of any other model that they were intended for as a factory wheel, besides the G.

I would be interested in a set, but I would love them in a slightly deeper dish if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts

I would need to have a good original example to work from, and I don't have one.
I can't volunteer his stuff but Scott Ferguson has a 1 beautiful example that I think is NOS or at least completely restored plus 4 in need of restoration.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have spent some time checking some Chinese manufacturers today but I know you have some really good connections Bill, so if you have time to work on this that would be great :) I would definitely buy a set, so please put me on the list. If we can get together and have them made I will consider ordering 5 wheels as it would be great to have a matching spare just like the car came from the factory.

·
11,000 Posts
Bill,
You don't need as many sets ordered as you think. A G originally came with 5 Rader wheels, not 4.

Here is what I think we might want to consider: We would need to put together a group buy where the wheels were sold before they were produced. Basically we would be eliminating dealer mark up (sorry Don, Ken, John, and John...) I would need to have a good original example to work from, and I don't have one.

I would estimate that I can get them made for about $400 per wheel ($1200 set of four plus shipping), this would include a center cap, also made of billet aluminum, with a recess for the XR7-G decal, but no decal. We would need to get the decals from Ken and I would see if he would make us a deal on those. I have no idea what the original lug nuts were like so I can't comment on that.

We would need to run 100 wheels, (25 sets of 4) to make this work. I need three sets for my cars, so that gets us down to 22.

Were these wheels used by any other manufacturer? Maybe there is some other group that would be interested.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leon, a 17 x 8 wheel sounds nice too, but would of course never look right and then it would make no sense to those of us who wants a correct Rader wheel for our cars.

So what we need now is to find a nice wheel to use for reproduction, which should be possible.

Then we need to spread the word to potential interests. What I am asking myself is how we can reach those people as I don't expect every owner of the XR7-G cougars to read this forum frequently. Royce, could the XR7-G registry be used to contact owners or would it be against the policy for the registry?

·
11,000 Posts
Gry,

This is exactly the type of thing the registry is supposed to be used for.

Leon, a 17 x 8 wheel sounds nice too, but would of course never look right and then it would make no sense to those of us who wants a correct Rader wheel for our cars.

So what we need now is to find a nice wheel to use for reproduction, which should be possible.

Then we need to spread the word to potential interests. What I am asking myself is how we can reach those people as I don't expect every owner of the XR7-G cougars to read this forum frequently. Royce, could the XR7-G registry be used to contact owners or would it be against the policy for the registry?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts