Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle door Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Classic car
Green Water Automotive exterior Grass Glass Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

I finally got done with final design for a set of passenger and driver's side mirror bases that is a mirror duplicate of the original driver's side 1968 XR7G mirror base. I have cast them from zinc. The bases are designed to allow the vent window to swing past the mirror without interference.

I was unhappy with what the aftermarket provided for the driver's side so I developed a pair of bases. With help from a G owner; I designed in SolidWorks (3D cad; I'm an engineer for day job) an exact replica of a driver's side and what would have been a passenger side base.

I made the one's above for my car and will make a couple to sell in the coming weeks. The bases take a very long time to cast by hand and so there will only be a few made. I'm posting this ad to see what the interest is in the bases.

The mirrors are available in the aftermarket from either West Coast Classic Cougars for the remote mirror that would be correct for cougars or like me; you could get a pair from OPG (Original Parts Group) they aren't remote but are the same base as the cougars. They are a little spendy; especially the remote mirror but I think that they are worth it. Cougar's are tough to fit different or aftermarket mirrors on because of the horizontal mounting position so there are limited options and besides; these look sweet. I have the correct stainless hardware used to attach everything including the rivet nuts for mounting to door.

Not sure if I'll post them on here or on ebay, let me know what your interest is. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can you estimate a price for just driver and for pair?
Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
im interested in a set, let me know a price.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Considering what ebay charges and the hassles with shipping maybe you would do better selling them to WCCC 20 at a time. Just a thought!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoon lure Bait Fishing bait Fishing lure Metal

Metal Silver

Light Text Font Lighting Neon

Above are what could be shipped to your door. The mirror bases are finished to 320 grit and ready for a coat of primer and paint. They come with all the correct hardware including all stainless screws and rivet nuts for the door mounting.

Price are:

For one: $160

For two: $260

Prices include shipping to your door and all above hardware listed. Cut hardware in half for purchase of one base.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 42514

View attachment 42522

View attachment 42530

Above are what could be shipped to your door. The mirror bases are finished to 320 grit and ready for a coat of primer and paint. They come with all the correct hardware including all stainless screws and rivet nuts for the door mounting.

Price are:

For one: $160

For two: $260

Prices include shipping to your door and all above hardware listed. Cut hardware in half for purchase of one base.
Hi, I know its been 8 years since this post but do you still have any passenger side bases or plan to make any more ? Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have casted a few and have them ready for final machining and polishing; not sure when I was planning to get around to them. If you want, send me a private message about a set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts