Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Real brief background, then on to my question. I bought a 68 XR7 two weeks ago. Has the original 390FE, C6, and some hi-po parts here and there. The body is straight, minor rust on quarters. I have since fixed the turn signals and headlight covers. The previous owner had only raced it, then started restoring it, more of a restomod. Well, I am going to continue on with his endevour. Tonight I finished sanding and primering the hood. He had started it as he was going to add an Eliminator scoop. Still debating that.
So on to my question. The XR7 emblems are gone, have been looking for new ones. But I have seen 2 types/colors. I have seen them with a red colored 7, and a chrome 7. Can somone tell me the difference? I won't be restoring this old cat absolutley back to factory, but the little things count as they say.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
from my understanding the chrome are just ones that have lost their red paint. correct me if im wrong people.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my 67's emblems are black too, can't verify it's original, although the 3 or 4 spares I have are also black.
bmaker

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the input. I will be on the lookout this weekend at the Goodguys here in Indy for some new ones.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey, another Indiana Cougar fan! Welcome. I almost forgot about the swap meet this weekend. I will have to see if I can get away for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Welcome, but we still need a few more hoosiers to catch the Cali boys on this board. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
we're number 1! we're number 1!:p:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
what he said!!!!!! land of the rust free cats!:1poke: :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
We're 45th...we're 45th...:)

Seriously, my emblems on the roof pillars have a black 7. The emblem on the trunk has a very faded red 7.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there to my fellow Hoosiers! This is supposed to be a great weekend weatherwise, so if you can make it to Goodguys, I'd go!
Seen a lot of classics in town this last week. I used to live down the road from IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park). It's almost just as much fun sitting on the front porch watching them all go by, than going to the actual event...I said almost! My Dad used to race brackets there around 63-67. Am going to take him for an early Fathers Day pres. I'm sure he'd like it. He hasn't been out there since then. We have some 8MM movies from those days, interesting to see the difference, and what a cut up Dad was...using a cooking pot for a helmet, what was he thinking?!?!

I almost forgot about the rear trunk emblem, that one is missing too. Actually the whole lock is. Have to use a screwdriver to open the trunk. I found the whole assembly, will pick it up and have Dad re-key it for me. It has the red colored 7, so I will get the pillar emblems in red also to match.
Almost forgot, hello to everyone else also. I appreciate the replies I've seen. I'll be frequenting this board as I am sure you all do.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Steve...

When you say WE'RE NUMBER ONE, WE'RE NUMBER ONE... would ya mind not using THAT finger? it confuses some people and riots tend to break out...

:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
why you got to ruin my fun? lol

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Does anyone have a red XR7 hood emblem for 73 cougar? Does anyone know good tips to restore my cracked faded one? Grrr...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts