Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard Cougar that has an XR-7 dash installed by the previous owner. Since I am doing more of a resto-mod so I am not going to take the dash back to original. I came across an upper XR-7 console and would like to install it. I picked up the mounting braces from WCCC. Now the question I have is how to wire the console down to the dash connections. Has anyone done this or have suggestions?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm sure you could get the the map lights and PARK working, but the FUEL, DOOR and BELTS require special sensors which were installed with the XR7 package. Example; the fuel sensor was a special 3 wire sending unit located in the gas tank and is not reproduced. The harness connection, for XR7, is located behind the passenger side kick panel and the wiring runs up the A pillar, under the headliner across to the overhead console. Standard coupe and XR7 wiring harnesses are two different animals. There are a couple of ardent Cougar owners in Peoria,....maybe they could set you up with XR7 conversion parts. You could "hardwire" the warning lights at always ON when the lights are on, for effect or through L or R MAP toggles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts