Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virginia Classic Mustang has 1965-73 XENON HEADLAMP KITS - at $49.95 pair. They state that we can replace our original or Halogen sealed beam headlights with these new Xenon Headlight kits as a direct replacement with NO modifications required.

Before I shell out $100.00 plus shipping, has there been any feedback or experiences with these?

:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm interested too!
I haven't heard any opinions, though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After just now reading the Reviews section, I will be point-man on this issue and buy/install the headlights and write a review. The standard headlights don't really cut it at Intersate speeds and I don't want any modifications to my restored wiring.

I've just violated a prime-directive of enlisted men, "Never volunteer for anything!!!!!"

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have Xenon headlights ( low beams ) in the 69 and i like them. its a different look and yes, the lights are brighter. although it is a different kind of light, so it does take some getting used to. i bought my conversion kit off of Ebay fir about $48. that was for the two buckets and the bulbs. the kicker? the kit was a retrofit one for 1980's BMWs, which just happen to use the same bulbs as our old Cougars and other Fords. the replacement sealed beam bulb 5006 i think for low beams ( 5001 for highs... i think ). mine now use an H4 style replaceable bulb and i like them alot. i left my high beams stock because i actually like the 2 different looking lights when i have them on. the kit bolted on with no modification to the wiring at all, BUT i did have to grind off a few tabs off the new buckets. that took like a minute. no big deal at all. other than that they are on there and work great. heres a pic....... oh yeah... i think the sellers name was [email protected].

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The high/low kits have been ordered and due to arrive early the week of 23 Mar 03. Results will follow. Good idea, sixt9coug, of the photo.

Gunner Mike

:ylsup: :beer:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
March 23rd is my Birthday. Send me some while you are at it!:p:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i could just picure some itty bitty projector beam lamps in there when those doors open up, like 4 per side.. lol

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Good Goin' Mike. I'm looking forward to hearing your results. I've considered doing what you're doing but haven't yet tested "the relay set-up" with my existing halogens. I just did it a few weeks ago. (No motor in the car though...)

Good Luck with the swap.

Mark

·
Registered
278 Posts
After reading this thread, and with the shoddy lighting of my stock headlights I ordered these units for my 68. I hope to get them soon and look forward to better lighting. I will also keep evryone posted. One of these days I will get around to taking some pictures of my car. It isn't much to look at but I have a rust free unibody sitting in the drive way. Should look a whole lot better in the next two years.
Jason

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Sixt9
Too bad the BMW's that are the same bulbs aren't the 5 series with the "glowing ring" high beams. How cool would that look at night!?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Garey... you can get those too. a buddy of mine has em on his 81 Celica. they are the rectangular headlights, but they still have the glowing ring on them. they look cool. i know they sell the retrofit kits for them with the round ones too. next time ill see him ill ask about em if ya want

edit... im sure that youd have to modify them a bit to come on with the parking lights though. seeing as you know... the doors would still be down otherwise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The headlights were waiting for me on Friday 21 Mar 03 when I arrived home from work. Virginia Classic Mustang surely does not play around when it comes to shipping. Now if my voltage regulaltor pigtail would arrive, I could install the underhood wiring harness and check out the headlights.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Mike

Watch the wiring to your high beam units. It is only rated for 37 watt lights. When I put my 100watt QH conversion in, I ran separate wires from the relay to each high beam light

There is a relay wiring conversion written by Bill Layton on TCCN. Apart from wrong numbers on connectors it shows you how to wire in the relays.

If you want stock appearance without visible relays, you can mount the mini relays behind the drivers side headlight mount, between the radiator support and the mount. You have to pull the grille to do it this way

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Leon, Could you be a little more specific as to what you mean by the "wrong numbers on the connectors." This is the diagram I used in my conversion as have yet been able to test it. I'd like to know what I may have done wrong in advance. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Contacted Delta Tech Industries

I tracked down the phone numbers and address for Delta Tech Industries, who manufactures the Xenon headlamps. They are going to forward specifications on the units for inclusion in the review. Will keep y'all advised as it progresses.

Gunner Mike Donnelly

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Mark - the numbers on the relay wiring are reversed. I'm at work so I don't hev details with me

the earth and the switched circuit need to be swapped and the battery +ve and the output to the lights need to be swapped

Also if you are running 100watt bulbs in the lights you will nees a 40 amp circuit breaker and relay - they are a bosch unit used in most Fords for the fuel injection circuit

Instructions for fitting the relays, etc are good and it is a lot easier if you pull the wiring loom out from under the radiator

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Thanks Leon. I'm heading to the shop tonight and will straighten this out when I get there.

Gunner Mike, sorry for sidetracking your thread. I'm still looking forward to your review of the new bulbs. Good Luck with the install.

Mark

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm learning from Leon's comments while I wait on the headlight spec sheets to be emailed from Delta Tech Industries in Planentia, CA.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey,

Yeah i most definatly need brighter headlights on my car. I can drive with my high beams on and nobody seems to care thats how dull everything is. Any and all information as to how to get brighter bulbs that fit the 68 cougar would be great,

-dave

1 - 20 of 35 Posts