Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
X Code GT's do exist! I have one. 1968 XR-7 GT X Code C6 3.00 locking 9" Comfort weave interior Tan color Black interior Black vinyl top. Big sway bar/ Disc brakes ...Bought from orginal owner in 1986. There are X code GT mustangs too. Look it up. These are very rare.
I also have:

I have a GTE XR7
69 conv Q code XR-7 one of 39 with engine
67+68 gt xr-7 4spd

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Looks like you have some nice cars listed in your signature. Welcome to the forum.

X code Mustang GT's exist and so do C & J codes. Comparing Mustang and Cougar options is not apples to apples. As suggested, post the Marti for proof. You could order everything included in the GT package separately and even though it would be an identically equipped car, it wouldn't be a GT unless that box was checked on the original order.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, I would like to see that Marti report also. Amazing cars in your garage. How about posting some pictures of your cars until you get the Marti report on that X code GT.
Steven

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yes! We all like pics, especially of GT'E's and 428 cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will post pics
The GTE XR7 is Augusta Green, Dark Ivy Gold Leather, Black Top, 3.50 Standard, Dealer installed A/C and Gurney front valence -- Bought from orginal owner.
The 69 XR7 Q code Conv is Dark Ivy Green Metallic, Medium Saddle Leather, 3.5 Standard
67 GT XR7 4spd is Medium Blue, Black Leather, No Vinyl top, 3.50 locking, Manual steering
68 GT XR7 4spd is Black Onyx, Dark Red Comfort Weave, White Top, 3.00 Locking-Bought from Original owner
68 GT XR7 390 X code is Tan, Black Comfort weave, Black Top, 3.00 Locking-Bought from original owner
Just sold my 69 XR7 Conv Yellow, Black Leather 351W, FMX, 3.00 Standard..........Too many cars to care for all... keeping the big blocks

The x code was bought from orginal owner and has fender GT tags-GT rims not styled steels, 1" sway bar, and PDB

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I think this sounds like Unicorn number 2. If the Marti shows the X code, and GT options, then the next question has to be; Why?

Here is a link to the story of Unicorn 1. http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/

·
Registered
735 Posts
I know x code G's got dual exhausts since all G's got duals, and I know GT's got dual exhausts, but did non G X codes come with duals?

·
11,000 Posts
I call BS on this one. The GT package was not available except with 390GT or 428-CJ engine in the 1968 Cougar. Sorry. Someone added badges.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I tend to agree with Royce but have learned to never say never. Look at the unicorn cougar 427 XR7 (NON-GTE). Also I owned a 69 GTX with both AC and a 3.55 sure grip on the data plate which were not supposed to be available together. But before I'm a believer I would like to see the marty report !

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Where's that Marti report???????????????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
68 X code.jpg
I bought this car from the original owner. He said the badges were always on there. Maybe they tossed them on in the assemby line or the dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It has the two letter GT badges. They are located perfectly. The orginal owner was a doctor so I kinda believe him.
Oh well. Maybe they ran out of 6.5 tags or someone stole them.
Still a nice car.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh, it's a terrific car, especially with the limited slip rear end. Very cool.

My XR7-G has GT badges on it now, which someone added at some point (you couldn't get the GT option on top of the XR7-G option). The 6.5 Litre and GT badges were located in different spots and with different prongs so maybe you could check closely and see if it ever had the 6.5 Litre badges.

When you look at my front quarter panels at an angle you can see slight indentations where the one set of holes were filled in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts