Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I disagree. This is simply a parts car. Did you see those torque boxes? Yuck! I'll bet there are 25 nice cars for every one person willing to take on a Cougar restoration. This is not one of those cars.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
That looks way too rusty to hope for good panels for that price. I just don't understand why some people think rusty shells are worth this much. Does the market really support these kind of prices? I'm guess there could be $3K worth of parts there, but that would be an upper limit. If someone were to try to part it out, they would have little room for profit.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I get sick just looking at it. I'd like to find a X or S code but I want something done...and I want a good deal.:)

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Too much work required for me. I work 70-80 hours a week driving truck and then I come home to look after my wife, kids and my father, no time for a project of this magnitude. Just the thought of another project makes me sick. I just want to turn the key and go.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I agree 67,

i have torn my car apart 4 times and its under its 5th n final time and i just want to drive it.But im to fussy thats why i am redoing it,BUT it will be done and enjoy it and have fun with it rather then tear it apart.I would take this car if i was looking to do a long term project but i just cant get the motivation to do a long term like this.I hope someone can buy it and save it,

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I agree 67,

i have torn my car apart 4 times and its under its 5th n final time and i just want to drive it.But im to fussy thats why i am redoing it,BUT it will be done and enjoy it and have fun with it rather then tear it apart.I would take this car if i was looking to do a long term project but i just cant get the motivation to do a long term like this.I hope someone can buy it and save it,

thanks
pat
Save it? Really? Every time I take apart a rusty car like this I find beautiful original paint sheet metal under the carpet that is pristine. The trunk is always dry as the desert, never any pin holes of rust or bubbles in the doors or quarter panels and the front end has never been hit. It's unlikely that mouse has ever been withing 100 yards of the car and the 45 years old leather is still as soft as the day it was worn by the cow. Anyone heard from Mr. English Wheel lately?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Sure why not? Could be a car for someone that would want to take on a challenge.But i wouldn`t hesitate to take it on as a challenge, i don`t have the funds to do it personally so if you throw him a reasonable offer i`m sure the seller would take it .Its all a matter of opinons, i seen worse get saved.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
437 Posts
Save it? Really? Every time I take apart a rusty car like this I find beautiful original paint sheet metal under the carpet that is pristine. The trunk is always dry as the desert, never any pin holes of rust or bubbles in the doors or quarter panels and the front end has never been hit. It's unlikely that mouse has ever been withing 100 yards of the car and the 45 years old leather is still as soft as the day it was worn by the cow. Anyone heard from Mr. English Wheel lately?

LOL, It takes me an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes and I still caught that one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ugh.

I hope that if there are any parts at all that can be saved on that car that someone gets the parts. But I personally wouldn't pay $100 for the car if I had to pay for shipping... which i would have to. Just to dig out the interior would be a project.

I'm also interested in the market value of these things. I've seen a few "shells" lately, and they were all listed between $3 and $4K. Assuming you had the place to store it and could strip the parts for profit, maybe it would be worth it. But a car with no engine, transmission, or other key parts, to restore them would be expensive. Better deals are out there.

I agree with Dale in Indy... if there is something you see in it and you want to make an offer, make an offer. Don't worry about what some goofballs on a messageboard think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts