Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My whole assembly is missing. Not sure what the whole thing is worth, but id settle for a base for now, and adapt some torino stuff I have for the time being. I've been contemplating using the fiberglass repro for now, since I don't care at all about originality. Anyone try one? I figured for 600 bucks, as long as it looks decent at first glance, I won't mind, but I will heed the advice of someone who has been down that road. Id rather piece together a nice set up over time though while I run the aftermarket one. thanks, Mike
Ps. Please don't reply to this thread with nonsense like " I think you meant to use an e in this word instead of an i". This is a wanted ad, with a legitimate question thrown in. I have no interest in grade-school level comments. You know who you are... I've never busted your balls, so please stay out of my posts unless you have something to contribute. I suspect you will pull rank on me and lock the thread. Prove me wrong.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you use a Cleveland shaker base? I think I have a torino Cleveland shaker base and midplate. I can just cut off the scoop bracket. I have a snorkel from a 429 that looks pretty close. That's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I've been on the search for one for about 10 years for my convertible - they are like rocking horse manure. I'm just using a Cleveland base on mine.

Mansfield Mustang have a repro shaker base for $895 plust snorkel at $325 + S Tube at $275 - then you need the top plate, flapper plate, seal and miscellaneous hardware

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-428-Cougar-Torino-Cobra-Ram-Air-Flapper-Assembly-/370549517533?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item564678ecdd#ht_1146wt_1396
No need to buy an incorrect shaker base when the correct repro is much less.

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1968 - 1970 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Cobra Jet Ram Air Cleaner Base - Repro
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 69cjbase
Price:<s>$785.00</s>
$585.00

Quality reproduction made in Detroit MI.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you recommend to use a midplate? If there is a more plentiful midplate available, id buy your base. I'm not looking for correct so much. Id be happy with something that looks nice to someone who doesn't nitpick about elbow locations, etc. Just presentable and fit right. What do you recommend, you seem to be knowledgable. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got this complete unit a few months ago from N.Jersey for $1100
It has a little surface rust but I think it was a very good deal for it. I was very happy. These units are pretty expensive lately.
Easy restoration. Will be the crown on the top of my 428CJ :) bruces 012.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts