Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I ordered brand new front and rear valences and the light assemblies for my 68 cougar parking and backup lights, and on the invoice I received today it says 65-66 mustang the part numbers are 3206B02 / 3207B02 for the parking lights. The part numbers that showed up for the back-up lights BL65RH and BL65LH... Did I get the wrong parts in for my 1968 cougar or do they cross over ? They came from mustangs unlimited but I searched for them in the cougar site. I'm confused. :confused:

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you do not cut and splice the wires you will smoke your harness. I know from experance on the front lights. They do work but are not plug and play.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
While we are on the subject can anyone provide a cean, clear picture of the mod that must be done? I mention it on our site but have yet to post a picture.

·
11,000 Posts
Roger that!!!

If you do not cut and splice the wires you will smoke your harness. I know from experance on the front lights. They do work but are not plug and play.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Davecg82 -- I mean no offense but I just can't understand why anyone would order Cougar parts from a Mustang vendor, much less Mustangs Unlimited, and especially when you have multiple Cougar-only vendors available to you. I'm guessing that you just weren't aware that MU is well-known within Cougardom as less than a stellar provider of parts.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
The wire color codes are the same. The plug configurations are different.

Now if you want the fix THIS IS IT!
Don, don't say I never gave you anything. Now run with it!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the delay in response, I just ordered these valences that a friend told me worked great on his cat and they were from MU. I had no idea they were "less than stellar" and I was on a budget to get my lights fixed. I have learned my lesson now and cougar vendors it is for me now, are these lights going to fit the valence angles correctly or am I gonna have to mod that part too? thanks for the info and I am still battling my temp guage problem... reads way too high at idle and spikes / falls randomly.. I have checked all grounds I can and replaced the sending unit, do autometer guages typically go bad ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Catman, how exactly do I get these connectors unless I re use the original ones? i am going to be putting on my valences and lights friday and now i have to play electrician yay !! oh well I bet I will learn a lot building this cat. Thank you guys for all your input it is nice to have this resource and experience at hand when building my cougar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don Rush- I did get amber ones, but I still (thank God) have the original light lenses from this car so it won't be an issue.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Catman, how exactly do I get these connectors unless I re use the original ones? i am going to be putting on my valences and lights friday and now i have to play electrician yay !! oh well I bet I will learn a lot building this cat. Thank you guys for all your input it is nice to have this resource and experience at hand when building my cougar.

davecg82,

This adapter plug would work if someone would manufacture it. Since Don Rush and Bill Basore seem to be in buisness together reproducing parts I thought I'd introduce the idea but as you can see there has been no responce to it not even a "not a bad Idea" but I'll take a guess that some of the Cougar and Mustang vendors have looked at it. Someone will make it. It is a simple fix. without cutting and splicing wires.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=600>Reproduction Front Valance Parking Light Kit with Clear Lenses for the 1967 & 1968 Mercury Cougar.

<TABLE width=600><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=300><CENTER><TABLE align=left><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[URL="http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11089400041767_2149_109311261"]</TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>Click to enlarge</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[/URL]</CENTER></TD><TD width=300><TABLE border=2 cellPadding=5><TBODY><TR><TD><FORM id=yfc_1 method=post action=https://order.store.yahoo.net/yhst-11089400041767/cgi-bin/wg-order?yhst-11089400041767+67park>Print This Page
Bookmark Page

Availability:
Usually ships the next business day

Orderable?

Part #: 67park-CL

Price:$64.85

<INPUT value=67park type=hidden name=vwitem>I Need to Order: <INPUT value=1 maxLength=3 size=3 name=vwquantity>
<INPUT value="Order Item (add to cart)" type=submit>
<INPUT value=http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67park.html type=hidden name=.autodone></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD width=600><MAP name=1674d4d9baf3c4067><AREA href="http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11089400041767_2149_109411801" shape=rect coords=0,0,175,131></MAP>

Description:
Includes quality chrome light housings and all related parts. Saves time and money. The plug configuration will work when modified but is actually correct for a Mustang. We are hoping to get the manufacturer to do a Cougar correct run for those doing concours correct cars in the future. Your existing pigtails and sockets can be carefully removed and reused in these housing for those who want to be 100% correct. Cougars are supposed to run amber bulbs with clear lenses but you can opt for the amber lenses if you like.

On Don says he is trying to get a Cougar specific run made but I imagine the cost will be
much higher for those.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

When I put new front Valance Parking lights ( 65-66 Mustang) on mine I knew the plugs were different and wouldn't work so I disasembled both Cougar and Mustang and used the Cougar assy on the Mustang chrome housing.

So right now you have two choices, cut and splice the Cougar plug on the new Mustang pigtale or disassemble and rivet the new chrome housing on the Cougar assy.... I have seen them on ebay for $110.00

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
For not much more money we can produce a correct plug for the Cougar instead of a "go around". Sometimes a "go around" is all one can do but when you can do it right why not? I hate explaining and making excuses over and over, would rather say "here you go, plug and play, exact fit". I do appreciate input and ideas like this, we sure can't do it all so input from the "community" is Golden!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey Don, would it be cost effective to have an adapter made to go btween the mustang lights available and a Cougar. Something maybe 2" long that you plug the light into on one end and the cougar harness on the other. Not concours but will get you out of a bind. Also less explaining-maybe?

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Hey Don, would it be cost effective to have an adapter made to go btween the mustang lights available and a Cougar. Something maybe 2" long that you plug the light into on one end and the cougar harness on the other. Not concours but will get you out of a bind. Also less explaining-maybe?
That's funny!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If an adapter was made this would be the best way...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I know that looks good, but from a manufacturing stand point, it would be really difficult to make. The tooling to mold the plastic part would be incredibly complex as the metal parts, which would have to be tooled as well, have to be suspended in place, and the recesses have to be molded on opposite ends, simultaneously. So when the tool comes apart, to get the part out, it has to open in several different directions, at first blush it looks like a minimum of three moving parts. So I can see that the tooling here would be really expensive. The best option for an adapter would be to mold the original style connectors on each end with a short run of wire in the middle. If you already owned the tooling for one end, then you would only have to develop the mate. We don't own either one.

Which brings us back to the real best choice: just mold the correct connector on the wire, in the first place. The connector would cost the same as the Mustang part, only the additional cost of the tooling and the hassle factor of having two different parts would add to the cost of the Cougar part.

Even if the part was only $5 more, I bet a lot of guys would still buy the Mustang part and mod the wires. I would for a driver.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
It's been over four years and counting. After doing a little research on what's available today I can see why.

It is very easy to marry a Cougar harness to a repop Mustang housing without cutting and splicing. The plug can even be restored using parts (springs) from the Mustang plug. I took all of mine apart and had them rechromed and put them back together so I know whats involved with the restore, not much!

This adapter plug however, would be a cheap fix for alot of people. Bill, they would be a piece of cake to make according to the engineer I spoke with who designs the wiring for trailers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts