Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be behind the times, but I cannot believe what this rusty '70 Eliminator with 351C 4-speed and standard rear axle sold for in "as is" condition. I spoke with the seller from the CL ad the night he had just posted it on eBay. He disclosed to me that there was rust in the shock towers and on one side of the trunk. However that was not mentioned in the eBay listing or shown in the pics. I hope whoever bought it does not have to hire out body work and paint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...4340355?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27b66d4a83

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Pictures said a lot to me about the car, no close ups and was missing a bunch of angles...I thought it went for about 5K too much...This is who I bought "Jessica" from and the car was as he described but I did have it inspected...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think we are starting to get close to the end of the "I'm gonna fix er up one of these days" cars. You guys know what I'm talking about, the car that has been sitting and not getting restored because the owner is misguidedly hopeful that they will get to it. The fact remains that there are a finite number of investment grade cars out there and when they are in the hands of people who can afford to keep them they are off the market. I think the days of complete rare cars selling for sub 10K are over. Think about this, your standard pickup that most people seem to afford retails for around 35K, makes 15K for a good starter classic car seem minimal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
1970 Eliminator with 4-speed wins the day....they are kind of rare and in my opinion maybe the best driving car of the era. Spoilers hold it down...nothing holds it back...yea baby!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think we are starting to get close to the end of the "I'm gonna fix er up one of these days" cars. You guys know what I'm talking about, the car that has been sitting and not getting restored because the owner is misguidedly hopeful that they will get to it. The fact remains that there are a finite number of investment grade cars out there and when they are in the hands of people who can afford to keep them they are off the market. I think the days of complete rare cars selling for sub 10K are over. Think about this, your standard pickup that most people seem to afford retails for around 35K, makes 15K for a good starter classic car seem minimal.
The problem around here is that BOSSGTE keeps getting all the investment grade cars and isn't leaving any for the rest of us! ;) I think he's artificially inflating their value by keeping so many off the market.

Plus it doesn't help that the east coast is real good at eating holes in these cars if they sit outside for more than 20 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts