Mercury Cougar Owners banner

461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Yup thats what it was, a brass drain plug. Picked one up today along with a couple more jugs of anti-freeze. And I looked like a fool taking back the transmission fluid. Same stuff they had just changed the labels! Oh well live and learn and the car still sets! At least it is In my barn, Next spring it will be on the road. I hope.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
If they just used plain water to cool the motor during the dyno most shops will pull the water drain plugs before it leaves the shop ... They should have told you or bagged them to the top of the motor where you would see them ...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
They pulled one! Didn't tell me.. Stupid thing is that I noticed that it wasn't there but didn't know it was into the water jacket. I just thought it was a bolt? that was missing. Wasted two gallons anti freeze real quick! I'm set now just need to find the time to get back out into he barn and work on her.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Just saying Hi, Classy still sits in the barn. Very little left to do but haven't even pulled the cover off of her this year. Between work and taking care of my father seems like the car just hasn't been a priority.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
11 June 18. Finally back to the car! Yesterday I installed the last power steering hose and filled the power steering pump with fluid. Also installed the block core drain plugs and filled with coolant. Today I finished installing all the vacuum lines, Installed the Y braces and put the little straps on the y braces to hold the A/C lines. Also installed the A/C hose clamp up by the radiator. Only part left on the shelf is the air cleaner assembly! I believe the only thing I have left to do before I turn the key is to fix one wire that was on the starter solenoid. I have not figured out yet what this wire does (red). I'm Thinking next Monday I'm going to try and start her up! Interior is done and so is everything else accept affixing all the stickers and decals.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
12 June 18 Well after looking hard at the wiring harness where it connects to the starter solenoid I discovered the center wire to the alternator cut about ten inches back from the rubber connector? There was no wire in the center location nor a metal connector? For all the work I have put into this car I don't want to splice a wire. Made a phone call to West Coast and have another complete underwood harness enroute. Now when I installed the harness this time the engine was out and if I remember correctly it was a pain in the but especially getting the rubber plug into the firewall. This time I will be doing it with the engine in? Might learn some new words in the process. This is the only thing keeping me from starting the car. Hopefully it ships soon.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
18 June 18 Well I put the final power steering line on a week ago, a couple days later went out to the barn to find all the power steering fluid on the floor under the car. Frustrating. Cleaned it up and figured this along with the wiring would have to wait a while. Went out to the barn today and crawled under the car. Power steering leak was a line I had not tightened. That was cool. Also went back and read through the log I have kept while re doing this car. The missing terminal and wire was my fault. It had overheated while cranking the engine and melted the casing so I cut it and was going to splice it. The terminals to the alternator were corroded real bad and I had failed to clean them. It had been a couple years since I had worked on the car so recon I just forgot. Now I have a new wiring harness and hopefully soon will be able to get it installed.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
24 June 18 Well my dad came of the ventilator today! That was great news. He had went into the hospital with sever pain just before fathers day. They determined his gall bladder needed to come out. Supposed to be a simple surgery. four hours into it they quit. Next day went in and finished everything up. Since Last Tuesday he has been in ICU on a ventilator today the ventilator is out and he was able to talk a little.

On the car. It took me over eight hours to remove the old engine bay wiring harness. I thought I was doing pretty good until I got under the dash. I had to remove the A/C controls and duct, fresh air vent, parking brake handle, floor light and kick panel. Then I unplugged and removed the harness. I set the new harness into the firewall and called it quits for the night. I am hoping tomorrow to be able to get the inside of the car back together. I have no idea how I am going to get the nuts on that fresh air vent?! two will be easy the other three? Every wire and vacuum line is in the way. Tomorrow will be a new day I will work slowly on the air vent first. After that the rest should be easy. Easier anyway.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
Ok I found that the cable to my fresh air vent is broken. A small plastic collar that sits on the outside of the mounting bracket is broken off and missing. Ordered another one from WCCC. I guess instead of trying to put the inside of the car back together tomorrow I'll work on running the wiring harness under the hood.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
7-23-2018 Well I have been set back again. Alternator was bad. When I went to install the harness I tipped it over and a couple little pieces fell out. Had to send it out for repair. Will be probably a week and a half before I get it back. In the mean time I have been working on setting the alignment at least good enough to drive to the shop for an alignment. Also installing decals here and there . I have ten gallons of Rec gas and am anxious to pour it in and start it up!
Called on insurance today. Haggerty's wanted 1,100 for 50 thousand coverage, American Collectors wants 687 for the same coverage?. Any comments on this?
I am so close but seems so far away. Not sure how I really feel about finishing it. Then What? I see so many cool cars out there. If I ever do another one Concours will be the last thing from my mind!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
8-13-2018 Ok, I woke up this morning excited. All I had left to do was install the alternator, put the battery in the car, put gas in it and turn the key!! Installed new wiring harness on alternator, installed alternator, set battery in car. Hooked up positive terminal, Touched Negative terminal to post and Fried The Engine bay Wiring Harness, Alternator Harness and may have fried the diodes in the AUTO Lite Alternator. This is after almost two months of getting a correct engine bay harness, installing it. Getting a Concourse alternator and installing it. I'm Sick. Don't even want to see that car right now!
Alternator harness is an easy fix, Alternator I can take to a local shop to have it checked and fixed if needed. Main Engine Bay Harness? Can this be fixed?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
I had my glasses on: I have no idea how i did it but I had set the battery down backwards and connected the positive wire to the negative post, then set the negative wire over the positive post. Instant smoke on the alternator harness and engine bay harness both sides of the connector.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Harvey. We all make mistakes, that's life. The best news here is that you know what happened. There is a guy on ccc.com that rebuilds the harnesses.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I regret to inform everyone in the Cougar community that CATS Classic Cougar club member Robert Harvey past away suddenly yesterday. I have no other details then what his family posted on Facebook :(

Brian Carpenter
CATS Classic Cougar Club, President

·
10,971 Posts
Harvey was so close! We are going to miss him. Hopefully someone in his family will finish his car as a tribute to Harvey.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Robert son wrote this on Facebook: "Thank you! I have a feeling this will come in handy. Finishing that car is definitely one thing that I want to do for him. I always told him if he ever needed my help to let me know".
"
I have read and saved the thread. Can you thank everyone following that thread for me? And let the last guy know that I previously mentioned, it will get finished".

461 - 480 of 480 Posts