Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping 4 wheel disc mustangsteve GT brakes onto my 67. I am swapping in a power booster w/ pedal hanger etc from a 67 w/ oem front discs. I have been looking at the 68 power disc distribution block and prop valve.

Obviously, I am far from correct so the question I had was can I swap in a distribution block like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-Thunderbird-Disc-Brake-Distribution-Block-Valve-e3sz-2b257-b-/190600240233?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c60a8dc69

I have a stand alone prop valve and will have to fab the brake lines anyway. I guess the question is are these all the same? Just some technical curiosity for you guys who know brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dan,

I believe the issue with that type of dist block is that I believe it has a built-in proportioning valve. I am not convinced that the disk/drum prop valve will not work with 4 wheel disk but then, I am the ECI (and may very well end up going to an adjustable propr valve in the end). Anyway, I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the drum drum 67 version now. I can get the unit above unit for free. Free is good, but only when the car stops like it is supposed to. I watched the rebuild video on WCCC's website and learned that I have the little cigar style prop valve inline right now. I will be running new lines. If this has the prop valve included this might be a more simple setup. Otherwise I have one of these to adjust the pressure to the rear brakes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-Proportioning-Valve-Mustang-Fairlane-Comet-/390242142972?fits=Model:Mustang&hash=item5adc3e8afc&item=390242142972&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dan,

To be clear, you need an adjustable valve or the fixed valve (which may not work right for disc, disc), not both.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I too went 4-discs and after studying options went with this one. Since you are re-plumbing
anyway, this one is similar in connections and adjustable. Although I haven't got fluid in mine to test yet.
SSBCadjustvalve.jpg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
really depends on what your trying to do---if you plumb a 4 whl disc master thru your 67 drum or 68 disc combo valve , the brake warning will still work---if you dont care about the warning light or origional looking plumbing , i'd use the new combo valve from wilwood---about $ 60.00
if you go with the orig combo valve you'll probably need a prop valve to the rear---leave a place for some 2 psi check valves in the front and rear lines---try it before you put them in the system---you didn't say what master you were going to use , but if its a drum / drum or disc / drum , you'll have to remove the 10 psi drum check valve in the master
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...but if its a drum / drum or disc / drum , you'll have to remove the 10 psi drum check valve in the master
doctordesoto
My understnding is that MC's are no longer being made with these, and my recent expeirience with two brand new units bears this out. Also, I still wonder if perhaps all the difficulties I had getting a good pedal could be attributable to this.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am using the master that mustang steve sells from a 2000 mustang v6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts