Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate a few thoughts on this one. When you try to start the car it sounded like it would catch but as soon as you come of the key it would stop.

I replaced the points/condensor, solenoid and voltage regulator with after market parts. The car started and was idling fine but would not shutoff - had to pull the coil wire. I tried starting it again - battery was having trouble turning the car over.

And then it got ugly - the battery cables and starter cable all were overheating and melting. Not pretty.

I've read earlier posts where some new solenoids and regulators are bad. Would this short and melt down occur if the starter solenoid did not disengage?

Thank you for any help.
Brian

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like you got some junk Chinese parts... solenoid is probably shot, but I wouldn't trust the regulator at this point. Measure it with an ohmeter and see if it's shorted. you can swap the old stuff back in after you get some new battery cables and check the stuff going back towards the switch too.....

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I would appreciate a few thoughts on this one. When you try to start the car it sounded like it would catch but as soon as you come of the key it would stop.

I replaced the points/condensor, solenoid and voltage regulator with after market parts. The car started and was idling fine but would not shutoff - had to pull the coil wire. I tried starting it again - battery was having trouble turning the car over.

And then it got ugly - the battery cables and starter cable all were overheating and melting. Not pretty.

I've read earlier posts where some new solenoids and regulators are bad. Would this short and melt down occur if the starter solenoid did not disengage?

Thank you for any help.
Brian
It sounds like your original problem was in the ignition switch. Your indication is that once you come off start it would not run.

Then you say the engine would not shut off. Same thing probably, the switch.

But the last part I am not clear if your starter was staying engaged as the car was running? Did the cables begin to melt while cranking the car or after it started?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the leads. The car was idling fine for ten or more minutes. Cables were not overheating. It's when we tried to turn it off for the first time that problems started. I tried to restart the car but the battery was weak, A/C power stayed on with the key in the off position. Car was not running when the cables began to over heat and melt.

Definitely some cheap parts from the local retailer trying to rush and get it running again. Will get original equipment on order today.

The forum is a great resource for us shade tree mechanics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts