Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying that I love my Cougar. I have wanted a classic car for so long and this one is a beauty. However:( , I am starting college courses on Monday which means I am going to have a 2 way commute and will be racking up the miles. The Cougar is my daily driver. I am also taking on more hours at work, because having to put premium fuel in this gas guzzler is killing me. More hours at work=more driving. More driving means that I will need more reliability. See where I am going with this? I am starting to think that I may be in over my head as far as this car is concerned. Maybe I am neither mature nor old enough to take on the responsibilty of this car. So, how much do you think I could get for it, if worst came to worst? Here it is:

A 1969 Cougar XR-7. This model has the 351W 4 barrel V8 with a 3 speed auto tranny, and is stock through-and-through. Everything in this car is original, including the mileage which tallies a mere 52,000. I have only put 630 miles on this car since I bought it about a month ago, and I am the second owner. It has the tilt away wheel, white leather interior, and is very clean. I have all of the receipts dating back from June of '69.

The engine runs very strong. This car is 99% rust free, and the rust that it does have is very light surface rust under the trunk lid. No rust is visible. The vinyl top is brand new and the dash is in excellent shape. There are no cracks, and it is not faded. It looks brand new. The clock on the dash has not worked since I got it, but I have not taken it out to see if it is merely a loose connection.

This car has cruise control, although I have not tested it. The A/C is in good working condition, but the heater core was leaking so I ran a bypass on it. The shocks need to be replaced, and the upper A needs to be lubed. The car idles great, and sounds really nice through the duel exhaust. The engine also sounds very nice with the hood up. The gas gauge is sporadic in its reading, but this is most likely due to a loose connection. All of the windows/doors could use new seals and the glass in the side windows could be tightened.

I am looking to sell this car because I am starting school soon and I don't want to drive this car into the ground as a daily driver. This is a huge sacrifice for me, but I would rather see this car go to a good home and receive the TLC that it deserves. I hate that I may have to see this car go so soon after I bought it, but I just don't have time to tinker with it between work and school. Very little needs to be done (see the above mentioned "problems") to get this car in incredible shape.

I am figuring I may put her on eBay if I end up having to sell her. How much do you think I can look to get...?:( :(

*Also, you can see the pictures of her here: http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php?thumb=1&stype=2&si=Alex&cat=500&perpage=12&sort=1&user=1074

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Based on the pictures and your description, I'd say it'd realistically go for between 6 - 8000 bucks.

It's a nice looking car. I'd try to keep 'er if I were you...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to keep her. But it's unrealistic. If I had something else to drive while I took care of her then it would be perfect. So now it looks like I may have to sacrifice this one for something a little less...

If I had my way I would be able to sell the Cougar for enough to get a '90 Firebird Formula 350 or something to that liking so I would have something affordable but also something I could have fun with...

I really really wanna keep the Cougar, but just in case, I need to know how much I may be able to get. Thanks for the numbers there Logan. I was hoping for somewhere in the range of $7,500 -8,000...we'll see what happens I guess...:(

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
You know what they say... A car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

$8000 isn't out of the question, you'll probably spend a while looking for a buyer at that end of the spectrum though. Certainly can be done. But it's hard to maintain your resolve when some dude walks up waving 7000 bucks in cash in your face.... :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I don't doubt that if someone came up to me with $7,000 that I would take it...probably anyway.

I think my best bet to get high cash would be eBay. I put my first car up there about 2 years ago when I was 16. That was "How to turn a $500 beater into $2500 cash via trigger happy bidders".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, if your selling it to afford something for college transportation, which is smart, is a 'bird, really going to run (insurance, gas, theftability, etc, course the in thing to steal nowadays is the rice burners) low cost? Yea all work (or in this case school) and no play makes it boring. But are you going to get an education or for the partying?
(Both would be nice..)
Too bad you can't just park it somewhere safe and covered till after college..
I've kicked myself several times of letting go of my childhood toys 25 years ago, 62 "vette, 55 Chevy 2dr HT, 66Nova SS, 71 Mach I, to fund a job, education and having a family.. Now that I've reached 1/2 century, and my kids are going after "vintage" vehicles, the stuff my parents or I bought new, they set you back a pretty penny..
Willie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to community college so believe me when I say there will be no parties worth going to. I am going for an education so I can get my transfer and the heck out. And I know that I would love to be able to just cover this thing up until after college, but I don't have anything else to drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like this car a lot, but I am just not sure if it is right for me right now, ya know?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, if your serious that it has to go, and you know how to get around on E-bay, type this number in ..1854214232 under search and keep an eye on how it does. It has more miles than yours, but appears to be a decent one. That might give you an idea how yours might fair.
willie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Willie, I appreciate the number there. I guess it would be best to see how mine might go first before I list. I was watching this other one but for some reason, about 3 days before it was about to end, the car was gone from the records. I had the page bookmarked and had been checking it often but I dont know where it went.:confused: Guess the guy changed his mind and pulled it or something...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently saw an eliminator over $6K and a convert. around $22K.
Willie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, those conv. go for crazy amounts of cash. But only a little over 6K for an eliminator?? What kind of shape was it in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I had already deleated the ebay auction watch, about 4 hours before the end of the auction, so it might have gone for more than that. It was yellow, had magnum wheels, spoiler, hood scoup, recent paint. Not sure if it was an actual one or a clone. I was watching just because..
I'm a yellow fan and the Cougar looks good in yellow. If my gold XR-7 wasn't so original, I'd paint it yellow when the painting begins. But after the past month of staring at it in the yard, the gold is starting to grow on me.. (course it's faded and looks like left over butterscotch pudding right now).
Willie

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why not not pick up a cheap $500 to $1000 econobox and store the Cougar till you can afford to go play with it some more. :)

Your Cougar kicks ass and I'd hate to see you have to get rid of it but on the other hand I'm sure the new owner will appreciate it as much or more if you do sell it.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
here is the thing you will never get another in that condition for that amount of money period! Drive it as said when you figure cost of maintaing a new car you will be ahead yes it doesnt get 30 miles to the gallon but it doesnt cost you a butt load of money for insurance i will bet. not only that all the parts that wear out on a car check out wheel bearings brakes and such not to mention those low profile tires. Drive the cougar and enjoy it. The first time it costs you 1000.00 bucks for tires on a firebird you will wish you had kept the cougar. The nice thing about owning a old car that is in good shape is that maintence is cheep. No smog to go bad which is what caused my boys 94 mustang to blow its heads. New cars sound good until you really start to look at the whole. You own the cat right? So drive it replace the parts which by the way will wear out on a newer car and need replacement as well as having a car paynment. You will regret loosing the cat talk to all us older farts who were not as far sighted as we are now looking back to the glory days when you could get that car for 2500 or less and that wasnt to long ago. also add in the cost of you having to pay someone else to repair your new car which you will have to do since working on a new car is almost prohibitive unless you have a computer to help you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
whats insurance going to cost you on that Firebird? Probably more than a cheap ugly POS for $500. Keep the car Bro. Like CougarGuy said. You will be hard pressed to find another as sweet as this. I hate being in situations like this. I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well there is another nice one on ebay with one day left, and it's up to $5K #1853410045 in California. Yea you'll find you'll never be able to replace it once it leaves..
Willie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts