Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a repost, we did not have a very noticeable title last time we posted. I would value this at $285,000.00. It is not for sale, just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Someone put some thought into this GT-E when ordering.

XR7, Wellington Blue with Saddle interior, headrests, 3.50 Trac Loc,... heck here's the Marti report.

Two owner car with 30k miles. Check out that interior!

Original paint, you can see the detail of the pin striping. The current owner shared with us some of the notes from the original owner (a life long friend), dating back to 1968.

As Avery writes in a letter to Ellsworth; The Machine! Sophisticated piece of equipment, wide oval radials = B.F. Goodrich 990's (excellent). 6 grand @ 135mph. I expect 6600 in 3rd later.
My good friend has a fast GTO - '66 - 3 deuce 360 Hp, 389 w/ 3.55 gears (on 2 carb).
He drove it (GT-E) when I had abt 300 miles on the speedo.
He will only run me rolling from 30mph to 110mph. He was sure he had no chance even at that. It catches rubber from 2nd to 3rd at 90mph (with an auto!)
The ride is only slightly ruff, (abt same as stock Chrysler product), but it is rock stable at 100mph with excellent stability. Low gear is something else.

Ellsworth is a customer of ours. He inherited this car from a lifelong friend who was a very meticulous Electrical Engineer. It has spent all but a very short time of its life in TX, always garage kept, 100% original paint. He has all of the original smog in a box just as it was removed from the car when it was a baby. This is in my opinion, the best unrestored GTE in existence. Just in case you were wondering, it is not for sale. I love the color combo, look at the condition of the interior! Notice also the dealer added rear window defog.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That car is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :lolani: Let's go film it the next time we're in TX

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Only one way to tell it's true value..

But that is one FINE set of colors and options. Dayum!

I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I met Mr. and Mrs. Ellsworth at the Denver nats in 07. They had pics of the car and were very friendly folks. I talked with them for at least a half hour. They did indeed enjoy looking over my gte since it was the only one in attendance and it is the same color. The fact that their car has 30k and original paint didn't sink in at the time.
Trac lok, am fm, pop tilt and headrests, very nice.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I love it ! Had I ordered it I would have ordered Black or Blue Int., 3.91TL and no Vinyl top. Still Very Nice !

·
11,000 Posts
I bet it would sell at $100 - 125K on ebay if he installed the smog first. B-J, maybe about the same. That auction is not the place to sell a nice original.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I love it ! Had I ordered it I would have ordered Black or Blue Int., 3.91TL and no Vinyl top. Still Very Nice !

If the high ratio rears were possible for order there would be others out there. You would have got an open or closed 3.50 like the others at time of order.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I bet it would sell at $100 - 125K on ebay if he installed the smog first. B-J, maybe about the same. That auction is not the place to sell a nice original.
I think the word would spread just fine at B-J or at Meacum or Russo&Steele, Royce. The heavy hitters are all tuned-in to what they want to look at..at least that was the vibe I was getting. They run back and forth and have guys around Scottsdale hunting and researching, no matter which auction.. There were a SLUG of buyers for my car at 150. An original XR-7 as pretty as this would be just as attractive, if you ask me. Blackie has a buyer ready in-waiting for similar money whenever I want to pull the trigger(without even putting up at auction for others to fight about it), and this is a much better car, if you ask me.

If you held a gun to my head and I had to be closest to a figure, I'd pick 200 before 125, honestly..

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was glad to see this beautiful car has/had BF Goodrich tires. The GT-E registry says none were ever verified. Mine had BFG tires. It's now white and was sold at McCarty Motors in Jonesboro,AR when new.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have ready money for this car at $200k, a phone call from the owner to me would get $1000 into his paypal account in 90 seconds as a deposit. My buyer is not the only one either... This car could easily pass $200k at Barrett / Russo or? This car cannot be duplicated by any level of restoration. Pristine original leather and pristine original paint is almost unheard of on any 68, couple it with these options and wrap it in a GTE? Incredible car by anyones standards. Think of what common as dirt Shelbys bring with a mass produced 428 PI or 428 CJ and original paint.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No dis-respect, but the big problem with 1968 Cougar GTE with low performance 427 & auto trans, it looks & perform to much like a secretary car. With the dollar value being equal on both cars, I would take a 68 Shelby fastback KR 500/4spd any day of the week over a 68 GTE. The same goes for my 69 Eliminator over a 68 GTE.

Chuck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5uqULUSTI

·
Registered
735 Posts
Nice to see that Shelby with it's hubcaps and no lemans stripes. All came with hubcaps and none with lemans stripes.

For me it's the XR-7 GT-E any day.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
No dis-respect, but the big problem with 1968 Cougar GTE with low performance 427 & auto trans, it looks & perform to much like a secretary car. With the dollar value being equal on both cars, I would take a 68 Shelby fastback KR 500/4spd any day of the week over a 68 GTE. The same goes for my 69 Eliminator over a 68 GTE.

Chuck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5uqULUSTI
Well, the good news is..you can buy yourself silly on those cars right now, and spend less than what it'd take to get a similarly prepared or preserved GT-E..It's a matter of supply and demand. For the most part, the big-money collectors have already got themselves their favorite Shelby or Three..many are selling off, as witnessed by the numerous auction cars of-late..

We're talkin' worth, here, not necessarily personal desireability (if that makes any sense?)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I had a GT500KR 4spd at the same time as my first GTE and the GTE was much quicker. My GTE in stock form ran 14.10-14.20s the GT500KR ran 14.30-14.40s.Both cars had about 30k miles on them.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I want the secretary that drives either one!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts

Chuck
Sounds like disrespect to me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
"Think of what common as dirt Shelbys bring with a mass produced 428 PI or 428 CJ and original paint."

This GTE just melts me....wow! The 427 history speaks for itself. And the color combo/options is just right for the era. I think 200K is obtainable for this rare beautiful original car, but I'm not sure there are many buyers at that range. But I do know alittle about the above pictured original limegold Shelby GT 500 with working air conditioning, sequential tail lights, fog lights, Cobra aluminum, roll bar/shoulder belts, hand made console, Lemans scoops, rear spoiler, snake emblems, Carroll Shelby Cobra history, thermactor, and cop-motor 428PI----and without considering the price tags...I'll take the bad green snake over this GTE.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts