Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH! I never get beat in wiring but i am now. around my battery area i have a wire connector. there is 2 wire on one wire nut, they are black. but have 12+ @KOEO or KEER.

but can will not get dash lights unless its hooked to + or - then it works fine...wtf! yes either. now it has 12+ already but if i touch it to 12- no spark, its fine, ...yes really WTF! if i dont hook it to either no start or dash lights, again i get all power if i hook it to POS or NEG..

it comes off a 3 wire connector near battery, 2 yellow one black, this is the black one. the yellow i think are alt?

Finaly had time to get her breathing fire last nite for the first time :evil: no cooling system in yet so it was short, if your going to click link, turn on speakers video starts fast.

[video]http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do?invite=fEn448hYY7UGzY2kz0Wx&shareName=MMS&messageState=RETRIEVED[/video]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is it just me or did that post short curcuit my mind. I'm + or - trying to 12+ figure out 12- what your black and yellow trying to fix pos. Sorry but good thing it fires up.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it just me or did that post short curcuit my mind. I'm + or - trying to 12+ figure out 12- what your black and yellow trying to fix pos. Sorry but good thing it fires up.
:icon16: ya im short circuited myself on this whats baffling me is since the wire is hot, why can i touch it to ground and everything comes on, same if i touch it to posative, but must on either or... :eek2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I guess it would help us help you if you could actually tell us where the wires go and what they're connected to, instead of basically saying there's a yellow dohickey running over to this thingamajig and stuff happens no matter how I connect it.

Where does the wire come from, what are you actually using to supply 12+ or -, etc. Need more actual details, not a vague description. :D

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i knew where they went ...

I wouldnt be asking where they go :toung:

the wire comes from a 3 pin plug as i stated, thats all i know, so far.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if i knew where they went ...

I wouldnt be asking where they go :toung:

the wire comes from a 3 pin plug as i stated, thats all i know, so far.
"A 3 pin plug" near the battery...ok...where do the wires actually come from? Are they connected to the battery, something near the battery, what? I have wires near my battery too, lots of them...please be more specific. What are you connecting these wires TO that you're getting things to work?

Sorry if I'm sounding dense, but your descriptions really need to be more specific. Put some effort into tracing the wires, wiring isn't magic and we're not psychic. :D

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you keep asking me the same questions that i have answered above, also thats why i said "thats all i know *so far* "

and i never said "i have wires near my battery, lots of them" im not dumb enough to make a statement like that. I said i have ONE and ONLY ONE 3 pin connector next to my battery. Its the only wires there so i assumed being a 67 with very limited wires it would be a no brainer for someone to look at theirs and see considering there isnt any other wires for 12" in either direction.

I was mostly making this post because i was puzzled at the accessories only working when the main wire hooked up, but to negative or positive both. I have since seen all diagrams for 67, i think the harness for this area is wrong as it has color codes that are not in any 67 diagrams.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
They say a picture's worth a thousand words, so send me a picture so I dont have to talk to you :finger:
Yep. That would help.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Do you have a starter solenoid on the firewall near the battery? Is it hooked up? It should have two wires connected from the loom (red / blue stripe and brown - on the engine side of the solenoid) as well as the cable to the starter and the cable from the battery

There should be wires three or four wires from the alternator to the loom via a three pin connector and that then runs along the firewall to the main loom and around to the voltage regulator. The wires are usually white, white with black stripe and black with red stripe. A black wire can run directly from the alternator to the battery side of the starter solenoid

The only thing that should be connected to the battery is the battery cable that runs from the positive terminal to the starter solenoid and from the negative terminal of the battery to ground

There are three wires running off the battery side of the starter solenoid. These are black and, off the same ring terminal, yellow and black / yellow stripe

Can you locate all of these

What do you mean by a wire nut?

BTW - the reason it is difficult to diagnose your issue is that your description does not resemble anything we would expect to find in the description of a wiring issue, hence the requests for a picture. The questions being asked are because we can't figure out what the heck you are talking about

You should also get a copy of the Wiring Diagram Manual. it isn't expensive and you can't really work on these cars without one

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
"Excuse me stewardess, I speak Jive"...

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
They connect from the alternator into the loom. One will be the red light for charge of you have a std. The others run to the voltage regulator on the radiator support on the driver's side of the car.

If someone had wired in an alternator with an internal regulator, they may have bypassed these and run a wire directly to the battery side of the starter solenoid. This will work but you won't have idiot lights for alternator

The loom from the alternator (white wires) runs to the black three pin plug which runs into the loom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts