Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some concours trunk photos..can anybody pull some up for me?

Spare tire/jack setup? Fitment of taillight cardboard covers?

Amazing how hard it is to find some good pics of a nicely arranged trunk.. thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Brian, I would look to the beginning Cougar for that information. I think it's number is 7F91S500001.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a bunch of trunk photo's of the G Cougar during restoration I can send you. I can't find your email adress, so Pm it to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The full article on Pinkerton investigating the Cougar when it was found was on TCCN. it's gone now, but with Steve updating the site it might return as it was good documation of an original 68 Cougar. I saved a few of the pictures.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys..Brian, I PMd you..

So is the jack just kind of "tucked in" under the tire, or is it to be connected to the bracket/bolt somehow?

What about the felt pad and the 3" diameter disc? Don't they lie on top of the wheel under the big wing nut?

The other Q I have is-Which line of the two "pre fold" creases gets bent over for the taillight protection boards? And I can tell they need to be trimmed to fit perfectly, but where are folks finding they need to be trimmed, and how much? thanks!

B

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks Guys..Brian, I PMd you..

So is the jack just kind of "tucked in" under the tire, or is it to be connected to the bracket/bolt somehow?

What about the felt pad and the 3" diameter disc? Don't they lie on top of the wheel under the big wing nut?

The other Q I have is-Which line of the two "pre fold" creases gets bent over for the taillight protection boards? And I can tell they need to be trimmed to fit perfectly, but where are folks finding they need to be trimmed, and how much? thanks! B
The jack is just tucked under the tire. The clamping force of the tire holds it in place. There are many ways to install it incorrect and nobody knew until the 22 mile Cougar was looked at.

The 3" disc takes place of the center cap between the rim and wing nut to clamp the tire in place. No felt pad is used that I'm aware of in 68 on the styled steel wheel, but not 100% sure on that one.

Your over thinking the cardboard.. Just trim it so it fits nice as I don't think their is a set concours way to do it. The repo cardboard isn't perfect and I had to trim all of mine to get it fitted correctly. The top is hidden by the upper lip and the bottom hidden by the trunk mat. try to do a nicer job if trimming the bottom so it doesn't show if the mat is lifted.

·
11,000 Posts
Notice the color of the zinc plating on the original gas cap.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Brian,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks,

_Tom

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Royce,

Good point ;)

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't think all Cougars had that three inch disk, mine has always had just the wingnut and the jack handle, and I 've known this car since July 69. It's a late '68 so they might have deleted that to save money too. I would suggest we get the pictures if we could on this site rather than rely on others.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The jack is just tucked under the tire. The clamping force of the tire holds it in place. There are many ways to install it incorrect and nobody knew until the 22 mile Cougar was looked at.

The 3" disc takes place of the center cap between the rim and wing nut to clamp the tire in place. No felt pad is used that I'm aware of in 68 on the styled steel wheel, but not 100% sure on that one.
Looking in my Body Assembly Manual on page 47, the pad was used on the SSW with the space saver tire. The pad was on top of the SSW and the jack and lug nut wrench sat on top of the pad and was held on by the wing nut. John

I don't think all Cougars had that three inch disk, mine has always had just the wingnut and the jack handle, and I 've known this car since July 69. It's a late '68 so they might have deleted that to save money too. I would suggest we get the pictures if we could on this site rather than rely on others.
The three inch disk was used on the SSW with the full size tire according to my Body Assembly Manual on page 47. John

·
Registered
913 Posts

Your over thinking the cardboard.. Just trim it so it fits nice as I don't think their is a set concours way to do it. The repo cardboard isn't perfect and I had to trim all of mine to get it fitted correctly. The top is hidden by the upper lip and the bottom hidden by the trunk mat. try to do a nicer job if trimming the bottom so it doesn't show if the mat is lifted.
There is also a piece of fiber board under the trunk mat under where the jack will set to protect the gas tank. The jack & wrench is painted gloss black.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We need to get this on our site this week.

SPARE TIRE HOLD DOWN
for 1968-70 COUGARS and 1968-69 Mustangs
with styled steel wheels
This is an exact reproduction made in the USA!

C8MY-1424-AR Spare Tire Hold down plate $22.95

1 - 17 of 17 Posts