Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have just joined, because I just purchased my fourth FoMoCo vehicle.

It is a 1969 Cougar XR7 Coupe. Serial number is 9F93R505661. The engine appears unmolested, and it has that hatchet weight behind the ballancer, and a C6. It is white with red leather interior. It is that mythical barn find, that you always see some other lucky guy get. Oh, and I think that I stole it. $10,500. I have ordered the Marti report, and cannot wait to see what I have.

I am primarily a GM guy, mostly Chevrolets, but as I mentioned, I have owned 3 other Fords in the past.

The first was a 55 Crown Victoria, 272 cu in, with 4 barrel. It was the quintessential "Little Old Lady Car". My Great Aunt bought in in 56, with 28,000 miles, and gave it to me in 69, with 56,000 on it. I was 15. My mom never checked the oil, and the first night I got to drive it, it ran out of oil. RIP.

The Other 2 were also Super Cobra Jets. A 69 Shelby drag pack SCJ, with top loader and 3.90 gears, which by the way was misvinned as a Cougar Coupe. The Shelby American Auto Club verified this, and it is listed as such in the Registry. The other was a 70 Torino Cobra, with an SCJ 429, C6, and a 4.30 Locker.

So as you can see, I go both ways. Not bad for a Chevy guy, huh?

Everything is there, including that high dollar air cleaner. The car has not been on the road since the original owner parked it with what he thought was a burned valve, in 1990.
Turns out it had a broken valve spring. I am rebuilding the engine anyway.

I will be needing a lot of parts and information, so you will be hearing from me.

Richard D. Hie
Cougar 1.jpg Cougar 4.jpg Zen Dog.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Incredible story, thanks for sharing and please do post more! I can see the end of the 31 spline axle in your picture, does it have the oil cooler yet? Nice find and yes the are still out there!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Very cool, please post the door tag information.

I also have an R code XR7 hardtop with Super Cobra Jet, but mine has a 4 speed. Marti says 1 of 53, XR7 hardtop with drag pack.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story and especially for sharing the photos. Great story.

White with red interior is my favorite combo on a '69.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Nice Find ! Congrats !

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Cool, it's a white, go fast Cougar. I'd love to see more pictures as you work on it.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Nice score and welcome to the madness. John

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Great find, man!
Glad you decided to join here and share your story and pics. Looking forward to watching the rehab.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A dog on the cat site.. heh
Congratulations, looking forward to the engine overhaul and getting her back on the road.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Some guys have all the luck....nice find! Keep it coming, we love pics and stories.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts