Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, since english isn't my first language I might express myself less than 100% clear... The spelling might be a little off too... but who cares!

I've bought a -67 Cougar recently and it has a wooden dashboard but in all the pictures I have seen I havn't seen a dash like mine. So my question is... is this a homemade version???
It looks like it might be possible that someone has made a flat thin layer of wood and attached it to the dashboard. It looks good but I'm not sure it's supposed to be there...
Is this some kind of option or is homemade?
If it's not supposed to be there I might remove it but in that case I want to be sure that it really isn't supposed to be there.

Any help here is appreciated!
/Ulf Lindblom
Sweden

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it is an actual piece of wood, it is probably homemade. There was factory woodgrain dashes, but they were just covered with woodgrain stickers.
bmaker

·
Registered
433 Posts
Woodgrain dash

Could be a dealer job. I know I used to be a detailer at a dealership and we'd put em' on from time to time...even at the Saturn dealership I was at. Course I don't know if they did this sort of thing back then. Another thought is that it had the vinyl cover there and it just got trashed. I have seen some nasty ones around. If you want to make it stock again I have seen quite a few of the simulated wood inserts on ebay lately. No vinyl ones though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is real wood and it's completely flat.
Probably it isn't stock then?
I think I will leave it on for now but I might tear it off to se what lurks beneath...

I might get a photo of it, to show how it actually looks.

Thanks for your help!

I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just looked at a 67 a couple days ago and it had a wooden dash and center console. Not in good shape but it was wooden...try and run the door numbers and VIN I'm not to sure....

Lance

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes there is nothing wrong with it, I think it looks quite good actually but when I started to look closer at it I saw some indications that it might not be factory.

It seems that I can safely say that it's homemade then.

Can someone tell me exactly what's covered by this?
I guess it's some airvents behind it that's blocked off now but what else?
(according to the pictures I've seen in the picture-gallery)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the vents for the air conditioning system...if your 67 has a/c! There is nothing else that the wood would cover. It has probably replaced the original pad so unless you have that original pad, leave it on...it looks good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so only A/C equipped cars had vents there?

It varied a little in the pictures, some had vents others not... but the ones with were the ones with A/C... have I got it right?

I dont have A/C in mine so then there should be nothing that has been put out of commission by this?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
that is one great custom job leave it alone it will only add to your cars charator. I do belive the vents are present only on a/c cars not on non equiped but i am more of a 69/70 guy than 67/68

·
Registered
273 Posts
The 68 has no vents without having the A/C I have a 68 standard with heat, defrost,vent and no A/C. I kinda wish it did in this 95 degree heat. I hate summer....Lol

Lance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts