Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

An old fellow in my cougar club just bought a 68 cougar that has nice wooden arm rests and a matching wood steering wheel. He claims this was an option from the dealer and he swears that he had the same option on a 68 he bought new in 1968.

I have searched high and low for any proof of this and have come up empty handed. I can't even find wooden arm rests on any makes of vehicles. I'm not sure whether to believe his story, or just believe he is a little crazy. If anyone has any proof to validate his story, or even can show me he is lying I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Car dealerships have installed aftermarket wood in cars for years. The Honda/Acura dealer I worked for offered a real wood dash insert and wood rim steering wheels for Accords and TLs. That's probably what your friend has, a dealer installed option.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I have a set too that was made by a person without internet connection. Also have a handmade 1969 fender extension that looks mighty nice! If you live in a small town and do not utilize the net these parts are very hard to find!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello all,

An old fellow in my cougar club just bought a 68 cougar that has nice wooden arm rests and a matching wood steering wheel. He claims this was an option from the dealer and he swears that he had the same option on a 68 he bought new in 1968.

I have searched high and low for any proof of this and have come up empty handed. I can't even find wooden arm rests on any makes of vehicles. I'm not sure whether to believe his story, or just believe he is a little crazy. If anyone has any proof to validate his story, or even can show me he is lying I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.
Can we see any pics?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have a set too that was made by a person without internet connection. Also have a handmade 1969 fender extension that looks mighty nice! If you live in a small town and do not utilize the net these parts are very hard to find!
What was the fender extension made from? Wood too?

Some nice stain and a couple of coats of polyurethane, wowsers! :buck:

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have a 1967 Cougar in the wrecking yard with the wooden arm rest option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the best cougar picture I have ever seen!!! In fact it's my new favorite picture. I think it deserves a spot in WCCC's hall of shame. It is now one of my screen savers.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds crazy but maybe not a bad idea to work with. I can not replace the armrests for a 68 XR7. I have heard many people talk about trying to fix their old ones that have pulled away from the foam. What if a wooden core was made and the vinyl set carefully around that with a little padding? Really don't have time to try this right now but an idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 1968 Cougar in 1998 and the owner gave me a wooden arm rest for the driver side. She did not know what happened to the passenger side armrest, and also across the dash is made out of wood. I am in the process now of finding someone who works with wood to create the new arm rests to put back in place for the old ones. The original arm rests were made from oak wood.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds crazy but maybe not a bad idea to work with. I can not replace the armrests for a 68 XR7. I have heard many people talk about trying to fix their old ones that have pulled away from the foam. What if a wooden core was made and the vinyl set carefully around that with a little padding? Really don't have time to try this right now but an idea.
Have you tried WCCC: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=C8W arm rest
I replaced my '68 passenger armrest with one sourced from them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts