Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lengthy soldering session, left my XR7's battery weak. I gave it a jump and...*#*@ SPARK CITY! I rechecked the cables. Closer exam revealed that the cables used in the Cougar were: black instead of red and vice versa. I don't know how I missed this before.

Finally jumped and started. Ran two days; but progressively had a harder time turning over. Yesterday it only clicked once, and no crank or start.

I read that mixing the jumpers could fry the system from Battery - solenoid-regulator-alternator- starter. I replaced the cables, solenoid and regulator. The Alt. shop says it checks out strong. It's a 100 amp Alt.

Now the lights in the cab are strong; but when I turn the key all I get is a tic, tic, tic, tic sound. I cleaned all terminal- so I don't figure its a bad connection. I'm down to:

1. Battery is OK at NO LOAD; but does not have AMPs left to crank. OR
2. Starter? Could this be- I mean I replaced the solenoid?

Any Ideas?

Many thanks for your input.

Ed in Portland

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
you probably cooked your battery. Is it a sealed unit, or does it have caps in it to take water. Check the water level, and do a battery electrolite test on it if you can. Lucky you didnt blow the battery up.

Rick

·
Registered
885 Posts
My assessment is your battery has retired. You may have hastened its demise, or if it is a 3 or more years old, it perhaps died a natural death.

Steve C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
tic, tic, tic

I'd be willing to bet my left one its your solenoid. Pull your red lead (boot) off and with a screwdriver shaft, cross that post with the post below & towards the front of the solenoid. If battery and all else are ok, should turn over, no key required. If all that happens is 1 or 2 clicks, or rapid clicks like a machine gun, the solenoid is definately shot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well seems I'm alittle late in this one but I personally think your battery may have gone south on you. I've had this experience with most every ford I've ever owned and most of the time its very easy to figure out.

1. Borrow a battery or take it to a reputable parts store and have it checked.
2. Jumper across the two large post on your solenoid and see what happens if it starts replace it, if no cranking or no change see about a battery.

Note: I've also had a bad starter cause this to me on my older ford pickup truck but only when it was hot and after cooling off started just fine.

Hope some of this helps out and good luck to you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea i'm not sure if you've already figured the prob out, but if you think its the starter, just pull it out and hook it up to a battery, if it spins when the juice hits it then its ok, but if not then you prob need a new one

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no mo tic, tic, tic, tic

Thanks to all who answered the call. The battery. Yep, showed 12+ W/O LOAD. But not enough to crank even after a chage. I'm soooo glad I did not have to pull the starter.

2 words: Die Hard silver 695 CCA. I feel so much better now :smoke:

Thanks again.

BTW, klrcat you lose your left one; but I couldn't bear the thought of all the ridicule you'll sustain at the YMCA so you hang on to it.

No, not now!

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts