Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally have my cougar up and running, got to drive it around today, very nice.

My main problem at this point, the accelerator pedal. It's up very high from the floor, and wobbles side to side very badly (to the point where it will hit the brake pedal)

Anyone seen this kind of thing before? How hard is it to fix?

:alien:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When I changed wvcat to a 4 barrel my pedal stuck up to high also, I got under the dash and straightened out the offset on the arm the cable hooks to to correct the problem. Mine wasn't loose, you may need bushings installed in it or a good used replacement.
John
wvcat

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
If you used the factory cable brackit thet bolts on with the 2 rear nuts of the carb that will cause the high pedal. You can get a crome brackit at a local auto parts store, Usualy Datona or Mr Gasket brand. Thay only blot down to 1 nut on the carb mount. They are adjustable to get full throdle and proper pedel hight. Or you could order a 4V repo brackit from most Mustang supliers. I have cut and drilled the stock 2V brackit to work also but can put the cable in a slight bind. To do this cut the brackit off about 1.25 inch back from were the back(rear most) of the brackit comes over from the other side, line up , Mark the spot you need the new hole to mount to carb base, drill and install. If you do this spend some time planing it so you do not over cut and not be able to get full throdle travel. Neal.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If you get stuck, I haver a throttle bracket that bolts on 2 bolts on the dr. side of the intake. Here's a picture, see if it will fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen the brackets for sale. I can buy a new one if need be.

But the height isn't the problem, the shaking is. I wouldn't care if it was that high if it went up and down without going side to side so much.

Consarned wobbly pedal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am not sure exactly what you are defining as "wobbly" but, if I remember correctly, there is a spring assembly under the accelerator that keeps the pedal in place. It wouldn't affect side to side play however.
Tom

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It actually shook from side to side. Turned out to be some loose bolts, easy as pie. Got the new bracket, and the pedal is where it should be again. Yay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts