Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a short someplace..So as Im looking things over and using my tester I find I have NO power at all in the fuse box to the Instrumet light. I never had dash lights but I just guest the problem was in the dash so hear is my Q

1st where does the power come from to that fuse? easyest way to track it down?

2nd what is the constant voltage unit do?

I hope some has an easy fix i dont want to remove all the wiring lol Im not sure this is even my problem but the hot that should be going to the fuse is going some place it shouldnt be

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Oh and I used a jumper wire to the fuse and I get dash lights..Could the problem be in the light switch? Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blue/with red stripe #19 is DEAD runs from the fuse box to the light switch from there I guess it should control the dash lights and radio light? Does the power come from the head light switch to the fuse box I know that is backwards but I cant see any other connections that it would get power from.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If memory serves - that wire runs most of the dash/door/console lights. Keep in mind your light switch is also a dimmer and controls (via resistance)the level of light, so make sure it's turned CW all the way for full bright. Sounds like you gotta bad switch - which is an open not a "short". Short means it blows fuse or melts wires.....(which you can track down by slowly inserting fuses to see which circuit/s are affected)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts