Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to wire in a Rotunda-type column mounted tach on my 69 Standard 428 SCJ. I know this tach was made to be wired to the ignition, without running wires out to the coil. Rotunda instructions like those found on the WCCC site say to put the wire in line with the wire that goes to the Ballast side of the coil. My concern is that this means cutting the Pink ballast wire at the ignition switch. Wouldn't this effect the ability of this wire to absorb heat, which is what I thought it was supposed to do? I dont want to do this wrong, but I also dont want to run wires out to the engine compartment and coil. Any thoughts?

·
11,000 Posts
Joe,

You should be able to unpin the resistance wire from its connector at the ignition switch end and use that junction to install the tachometer in series with the ignition. I have not seen the connector on a '69 but assume it is similar to the one on a '68, since the switch is the same one?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royce,
May see you today at our LSCC meeting, but if I do not: I agree in theory that this would obviate the need to cut the wire, but then the end from the tach would need to be wired into the connector module that plugs into the switch. What I may try is removing the pin connector from the end of the pink resistor wire and carefully placing that on the end of the tach wire that will then become part of the plug-in ignition module.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts