Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know about the red/yellow wire (640A & 640B) that goes to the "brake warning lamp" and the "oil pressure ind. lamp". After it goes from the dashboard harness through the plug to the main underdash harness, where does it end?? It is hanging loose under my dash, comes out of the harness by the radio and ign. plug wires - don't know where to put it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I've got a 72 wiring diagram for a mustang, if you want me to e-mail it to you, send me an e-mail via here with your e-mail address.
Dayle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry - you need details!!

1968 Cougar - I'm looking at the schematic on page 19-38 of the 1968 Cougar/Fairlane/Falcon/Montego/Mustang Shop Manual. The dash is in my 68 GT350, but I can't find that wire in the schematics I have for that car. It is in the Cougar harness mentioned above, and does the same functions as in the Shelby.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I guess my 72 mustang w/d won't be much help, however if anyone reading this has the w'diagram for a 72 cougar xr7 and would like to e-mail it to me, please please please.:D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sorry My manuals are for 69. When problem solving it I had to work back and forth between shop manual and wireing diagran manual for cougar only, neither one was complete enough by itself.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a "1968 Cougar Wiring Diagram Manual" that I got on EBay from East Coast Classics a couple of years ago; according to the " 1968 Cougar Instrument Cluster Circuit", the red/yellow-stripe wire (640A and 640B) should connect to the distribution block under the dash near the driver's side door (if I recall, the block is milky white, looks like a Lego block).
The block that you're looking for is 12 posts (2x6), and the red/yellow-stripe wire should attach to the post on one of the corners, adjacent to the red/white-stripe.

I'm trying to describe the orientation without knowing exactly how the block is oriented in the car, sorry....

The other corners should be blue/red-stripe, white/red-stripe, and blue/black-stripe.

I hope this helps, I hope this applies to your specific application (I don't see mention of a tach on this diagram...)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
http://www.themustangshop.com/

This link will get you to the mustang shop, click on resources and he has a lot of wiring diagrams you can download, there is one for a 68 Mustang. I unipped them with winzip, but could only go to them if I restarted the computer, no idea why. If you want them and can't download them I can maybe do it for you and e-mail it, I've downloaded the 72 one, with no hassles.
Ciao
Dayle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts