Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 68 XR7 while disconecting the plug from the passenger side harness to the fuel sending unit I broke off one of the aluminum probes. The male connector where it goes into the female conector. Can and how would I fix this or do I need to replace that left side harness. The harness runs from under the dash, down the passenger side into the trunk where it is used for the trunk light and fuel sending unit. Also does the overhead panel and opera light inside the car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could replace the harness, but that would take a lot of work. I would cut the wire loose from each side of the plug and use a male and female bullet connector for those wires. You will still be able to unplug the connection and otherwise retain the harness.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could but am trying to stay correct as far as the connector goes. I am wondering maybe If I can drill and thread a small piece of a bolt or something into the one side and then spin the broken piece onto that? Only concern might be the resistance it would create?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Did you break this at the actual sending unit, or at where one harness connector joins another?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where the two harness join together and it broke on the side of the harness going to the front of the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to an autosupply store and buy a two prong towing connector, or Northern tool has them, if they're where you live, if not you can find molded connectors online. solder on the new plug, heat shrink and BAM! a brand new connector.

if the connector is a double male to double female and not a half and half you may have to replace both sides, but even doing that takes a whopping 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to check on that, I have a few different RV dealers around here that might have something like it. or I could also if I can get the piece and say three or feet of wire behind it from and old beat up harness and splice it back where it will be up behind the headliner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts