Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has got a wiring diagram for the 70Cougar ?

I recently had a wire melted "down" in half
and i just replaced that wire with a new one and keep getting electrical interference...

I installed the wire how it always has been installed...cant figure it out why i keep having the electrical interference

it is the wire going from the starter relay ( next to the battery ) to the dash and fusebox
the wire that is connected at the first bolt togheter with the battery + cable

I followed the cable and removed the whole dash and additional lights;radio etc
and cannot find a + in contact with a -....

so if any of you have a basic diagram then i can maybe figure out the problem

Also i have no power anywhere in my car with that wire beeing disconnected :s

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here's a place that have color laminated wiring diagrams: www.classiccarwiring.com/ . Just click on the Make on the left side. John

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,
looks like i found the cause of the "shortcut"
See photo , if this "box" hits the iron mount of the car i have an electrical interference
It is originally mounted somewhere above the heater control with one screw on the iron frame of the dash so my conclusion is that there is a shortcut in on of the relay or what are they called in the photo ?
And this shortcut in the "relay" is making the frame get under electricity causing a shortcut
Does this make any sense and is this correct what i am thinking of ?

Further, how is this piece called so i can order a new one

Also what does this "tool" do ? at the moment i have no front lights or markers, the rest is working fine

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks like your seat belt relay (tapped up one) and your circuit breaker assy. Why on earth would they cobble up wires on the seat belt realy though? WHo knows? Look at that diagram I sent and I bet you will make sense of it now.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts