Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 73 had a fire so it was nec to replace the entire wire harness and dash. I installed everything from a 72 parts car. The voltage reg plug is wired Top orange/blue #2 green/red #3 2 yellow one condenser. #4 empty ...plug is closed (all is the same as the 73 was)

All schematics I found shows a white/black stripe wire on the stator connection on the alternator. The harness has no such wire. My old 73 harness had the white/black on the stator (alternator stator) and it was in the harness going under the engine (under the pulley) to the drivers side and towards the cockpit. The 72 harness does not include this wire...

I resist splicing a wire into the stator connection of the voltage regulator from the s connection on the alternator. Maybe somebody has a 72 and could check where the stator wire on the alternator goes and what color it is. I would also like to know the other colors and if the regulator plug matchs mine listed above. If you don't know the connections email me and I will send a picture of the back of the alternator with letters of connections.

lots of trouble I know.... Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bob,
My '72 regulator connector is exactly as you describe. As far as I can see, there is NO white/blk wire anywhere. Couldn't see what wire was on stator (possibly large black/orange. Pretty sure it looks like this:

Here is a '73 (Mustang) I found, but it would help to know if you have gauges or not.

There evidently is a difference in the 72 and 73 but to what extent I have no idea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have gauges..The "A" is what I have but look at the "B", it has the white/blk wire that goes to a plug, I wonder where it goes, all the schematics I have are wrong.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I do have gauges..The "A" is what I have but look at the "B", it has the white/blk wire that goes to a plug, I wonder where it goes, all the schematics I have are wrong.
I haven't found a Cougar specific 73 diagram,yet, but all the Ford diagrams I see with a white/black wire on that stator go directly to the "S" position on the regulator.

My hunch is, if you've changed ALL the wiring to a '72, you most likely will be ok with the harness you have. But I'm curious where that wire goes. Hopefully, someone with a '73 will chime in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to be a newbie...my first post and would like to say "all good answers."

When I re-wired my '74 bronco, I found painlesswiring.com's site invaluable (don't worry...the fella who wrote the harness schematics welcomes visitors). Just click on "wiring harness" for a classic car (hotrod...ford 14 circuit), or in my case then....classic truck. The cool thing about their manuals (which you would then click on) is that they clearly show the two most common ways Ford wired their alternators to the voltage regulators....definitely cleared up a lot of confusion on my part!

I have a '73 'stang and am contemplating moving my stator wire from the way it's presently wired, as it goes from the alternator (white/black), has a fusible link, and continues under the engine and back through the firewall. I'd never seen that before, but it's clearly meant to go to an electric choke, given the fact that it has a fusible link on it...just where it goes in that bundle isn't clear to me, so anyone who wishes to enlighten me, please do so!!!! Right now, the dude who wired my coil and mallory electronic ignition has the choke wire coming off the wire headed to the coil (and I'm now suspecting he left the resistor wire on it, as the coil gets less than four volts...no need for that balllast resistor, then!).... It is hot in run, but not a place I'd want it. Just one of a hundred problems with a forty year old harnes and too many PO's. It's all good, though!!!
Danielle

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I think there were different harnesses for gauges/no-gauges ( XR-7 and Standard respectively). Of course there is also a different alternator/regulator harness for the optional heavy-duty 90-amp alternator. I should have examples of all of the harnesses since I have both Standard and XR-7s, as well as the big alternator option.

I'm not 100% certain when the h/d alternator was specified. Was it for power windows? My 73s are all different in their options. AlphaCat has the 90-amp alternator and pretty much everything - power windows, power driver's seat, automatic seatback release, heated rear window... About the only option it doesn't have is the power sunroof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
I need some enlightenment. I have a 73 cougar and I'm having an issue somewhere in the voltage regulator alternator or wiring. I took it to a parts store they hooked it up. Battery is good but when running it's amping at 13. Something to 12.9 intermittently. He suspects the connecting wiring. My alternator light on my dash will be on steady then go off and come back on. It has left me stranded if I'm not able to get a jump. I need help!!!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
you will need to test the voltage regulator and alternator first... i good look over of the wiring under the hood should tell you if you have any issues there . you tube testing 73 ford charging system it should help.. if not let us know. BTW welcome aboard ...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts