Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I've got a '68 standard and am trying to identifiy a couple of wires that I think were disconnected by a previous owner. There is a flat, 3-wire trailer-hitch style connector under the hood right in front of the firewall on the driver's side. One of the wires runs to the coil so that's the ignition wire coming from the ignition switch. The other two wires have small, right-angle female connectors on them. I can't find the right schematic in the service manual to identify them. The ignition schematic shows the ignition wire and the connector, but simply identifies the other two wires as 31 and 39. On the mustang schematic, it shows a similar arrangement but 31 and 39 are connected to coolant temp and oil pressure sensors. I'm assuming it's the same for a Cougar and this makes sense based on the connectors and the fact that my cat has aftermarket pressure and temperature gauges so these would be disconnected. Can anyone confirm this, though?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Can you post pictures of the wires. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I assume it is the same as the Mustang, as the link above shows. The service manual covers Mustangs, too, and it shows the same.

I may try to post a picture but unfortunately the reason I'm asking about these wires is that I had an under-hood fire. It's a bit of a mess now. I'm trying to figure out where to connect stuff back together. The ignition wire I mentioned was still attached but the other two were dangling. All three had most of the insulation burned off. I'm assuming I just never noticed the other two wires weren't connected. I'm just trying to make sure they are not important.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts