Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a drive I parked the Cougar for about 5 minutes. I went out to start it again and it started then stalled. I tried again and the engine went clunk, (stopped dead) and smoke started to rise from wiring cooking. Have not got under the car yet to see where the wires were going. They smoke came from a block of 4 wires to one connection near the firewall in front of the driver and burnt/melted from bottom up to the connection. I was pretty ticked and it was getting dark so I just pushed the car into its spot...might get back out under the car today.

What the heck did fry? Wiring manual on order. I suspect a ground down by the starter or transmission area or the wires were exposed and shorted. Cars wiring is very old, greasy in spots and need a complete redo...but a blast to drive.

Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not under the car yet but looks like neutral safety switch is what got fried.
Have not replaced one before so when it stops raining - I will check it out.
Any helpful hints on replacing the switch?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no switch on the c4 - completed removed! That is where I need to start - a new switch for when I convert back to the original floor bucket style shifter instead of the aftermarker B & M shifter (cable style) which is junk IMHO.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I bought my car I did not have reverse lights and knew it would be on my list to fix. It turned out that the same thing had happened at some point and a previous owner had rewired the solenoid to by-pass the fried neutral switch. When I removed the old switch and pulled the wiring out I was amazed at how destroyed the wires were.

When removing the old switch be aware there is a tiny o-ring that might come off with it. You need to make sure it is in place
at the shaft otherwise you'll be leaking trans fluid.

Search this forum and you'll find the correct procedure for installing the new switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts