Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 XR7 Cougar with A/C and my question is. Did all A/C cars get tinted windshields? Im going to replace my windshield do to a crack and the fact that its a replacement piece anyway.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I believe the answer is Yes. Lets see what others know!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
AC cars were supposed to have tinted glass all around but there are documented Cougars that were not built that way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Tinted Windshield or Full Tinted Glass was an option by itself to (and i quote) "Keep "old man sun's" blinding, scorching, glare producing rays out". I don't think it was included with the A/C option but real common. The factory "Whisper-Aire Conditioner" option did include power booster fan, 55 amp alternator, and heavy duty radiator as standard with the unit.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
That's a good question murdock 2112, I was wondering about that also as I no longer have my original windshield. My car came with A/C from the factory and my Marti report also lists Tinted Glass for my car. 1st, I was looking at my '68 Cougar Illistrated Facts & Features Manual and it lists both the Tinted Windshield and Tinted Glass (Complete) as seperate options. 2nd, I was looking at an original '68 Mercury brochure (Forum No. M-68-102) and it included a seperate flyer that said: Notice:product changes since this literature was printed (I'm not sure what the date was for the changes, maybe 01-01-1968) but under '68 Cougar it lists that the Tinted Windshield was not available but that Full Tinted Glass was available. If you haven't already, you should order a Marti report for your car and it would list if your car came with a tinted windshield or not. Here's there website: www.martiauto.com . Just click where it says "Marti Reports". John

·
Registered
391 Posts
FYI, also, my Augusta Green '68 standard was ordered with factory air and plain glass, as verified by the Marti Report. So such cars are definitely out there.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My car did not come with A/C originally but it had "tinted glass - complete."

·
Registered
391 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention: if you read the brochures, data books and other dealer literature of the era, tinted glass was "recommended" whenever factory AC was ordered.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When you are referring to a tinted windshield, do you mean the whole glass is tinted, or are you talking about the shaded strip across the top?
The whole window. You could order all the glass tinted or just the windshield.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
When you are referring to a tinted windshield, do you mean the whole glass is tinted, or are you talking about the shaded strip across the top?
The factory tinted Carlite glass from Ford/Lincoln Mercury would have Sun-X etched into the lower part of the glass where you would also find the Ford script, Carlite, date code, etc..

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My car is A/C and came with tinted glass. Don't have my marti handy to see how the options were described. I always took it for granted that the tinted glass came with A/C but this thread shows you should not take things for granted. Since my car is slime green the coke bottle tint is very nice.

BTW, I had to replace my windshield and with help form DrCougar (John Benoit) I ordered it from OEM Glass in Illinois with the proper CarLite etching with date code and it is about as perfect as can be. Tinted with the darker tinted band at the top. It wasn't cheap!

http://www.oemglass.net/about_us.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts