Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to owning a cougar so im not to sure what to do for this one. I bought a 78 Cougar Xr-7 after thanksgiving and when i got the first time i tried to turn on the windshield wipers the switch fell apart. Ive been looking everywhere but cant figure out where to find this switch. All the auto parts stores have a different kind listed. The switch itself has 9 connectors. its circular in shape and turns like a key would. The only ones i can find listed are completely different. Any ideas about where to find a new one or ways to get my wipers working? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
74-79 Torino / Ranchero / T-bird / Elite all use the same and they are all weak in that same area where the plastic is swedged to the die-cast. Make sure you specify delay or 2 speed wiper system when you are looking. Have you asked at the 74-79 Cougar forum yet?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt know there was such a forum. And im not sure which kind i had. I was never able to use it. Is there a way i could tell?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On second thought i would think it is the two speed wiper. I just want this thing to work. Living in washington state without windshield wipers is a nightmare.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The interval wipers, Off is in the center turn to the left to activate the delay feature and to the right to activate the activate the two speed feature.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know where i could find a new one? Or is there a way to hotwire it? Ive tried everywhere but cant find one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I have found a parts number for the switch but i cant find the picture for it. The Numbers i got are for MotorCraft and it is SW-1480. Does anyone have a picture of that particular switch? I believe its the right one just not to sure if the connectors are the ones i have. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone. That is exactly the switch i need. Finally!!! I can get windshield wipers again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts