Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's how the story goes:

I recently put in an aftermarket tach on the steering wheel. When I was hooking up the tach, I used a poker circuit test light, and unknowingly hooked up (I think) my tach to my windshield wiper motor hot wire. What happened after that was everytime I used the wipers, the tach would flip with them.

Then, the other day, I took the center console out to install a new center dash speaker, put it all back together, and went inside.

The next day (yesterday) I was taking the car down to get new shocks, and it started sprinkling outside. So I turned the wipers on. They came up half way, then stopped, and wouldn't go any further. However, I would hear a muffled "ting" noise every second as if the motor were trying to push them, and they would twitch with that ting.

I turned them off almost immediately, and decided I would unhook the tach today, because I needed to figure out how to grease my speedo, and was going to be under the dash anyway.

I tried the wipers once more before I climbed under the car today, and now there is absolutely nothing happening. No tinging, no twitching, nothing.

I pulled all the fuses, (hoping and praying) but apparently the wiper fuse is not there or there isn't one.

I unhooked the tach, and still nothing.

Any Ideas??

Is my motor fried, and is this maybe coincidence?

THANKS

Heather

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
11,000 Posts
Heather,
The windshield wiper switch has a seperate plug hooked up directly to the back of the switch. Sometimes the connector just falls off, then nothing doing when the wipers are on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wipers

That is the big black connector, correct? We just got done tearing the dash apart, replacing the motor, and putting it back together. Still no go on the wipers. The switch tested out ok on the bench with a multitester, but maybe the switch is bad to the point of it not working.

Will try again later.

Heather

1 - 3 of 3 Posts