Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wondering if someone knows of a easy way to take off front and back glass chrome mouldings i've got to work on the roof of my 70 (rust?) so i've got to pull off the vinyl top and mouldings i dont want to ruin them is there a trick to it? do i need special tool? thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There is a special tool to remove the trim, it kinda looks like an arrow on the end. Sometimes you can remove them with a putty knive between the trim & the body and pull back towards the body with the putty knive. Of course sometimes they can be a real bear to get off if they have been glued down in addition to the clips.
Good Luck
John
wvcat

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks john, it doe's look like there glued too and i did'nt want to try a screwdriver wasn't sure so i thought i'd ask for help

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
heres my attempt at explaining it...

on the other hand, the vinyl top trim pieces are easy to take off. if you look under where they are attached, its just stamped steel nuts that hold them on. about 15-20 for all 4 pieces though. a few of the nuts on the side pieces are only accessable behind the sail panel trim on the inside of the car. you know what that means.... taking out the backseat and the back side panels. ive done it a billions times by now, so its really not that bad.

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys i'll give it a try this weekend i hate to take off the vinyl top it's in good shape but have lots of rust under it and i don't want to wait to long thanks again

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, got the mouldings off (p.i.t.a. all glued down) also vinyl top off wow lots of surface rust under there anyone know of any kind of sealer i can put on the roof to keep it from rusting anymore thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Warning- when I took my vinyl top off I sanded it and sealed it with one of those rust inhibitors but all the spots eventually came back thru. I recomend sandblasting the pits then spraying an etching primer on the bare metal followed by some evercoat for a permanant repair that won't come back. (I'm smarter now....lol)
John
wvcat

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, i think i got it in time no rust though roof but bad surface rust, are those things (etching primer, evercoat availalbe at most auto paint stores? i'll try them , bad thing was the vinvl top was in good shape

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Etching primer should be available at any autobody supply store and evercoat is a extremly smooth & lightweight body filler, its kinda like bondo but you won't get the little air bubbles and is made to be used like spot putty. Once I discovered it I stopped using the spot putty in the tube, seems like I always had problems with the tube type bubbling out eventually due to making it too thick. You won't need to be as perfect with your repair if you are putting the top back on.
John
wvat

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, i'm gonna put the top back on don't want to but i think it would be too hard(for me) to bring the roof back with out looking rippled/wavy thanks for the info i appreciate it. Dennis,

·
Registered
889 Posts
thanks for the info

I was going to ask the same question.If I remember right you slide the glass tool under the window side of the glass nad turn it away from the painted edge.? After I dig all the saeler out. Right? thanks Dan

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan i had to use a box cutter knife around the outside edge of my trim to cut the glue(be careful easy to scratch trim i did) i could'nt get my trim to budge until i had the glue broke free then used a windsheild trim tool and small screwdriver. I did like John said pryed trim toward the body, pulled up the trim mine was glued bad if it was'nt for the glue it would be easy. Good Luck-Dennis

·
Registered
889 Posts
glue sucks(if you didnt do it)

Im gettin ready to do it.The glue or sealer is on the bottom side by the window.Its all hard and cracked,it looks like you need the hand s of a surgen and patience of a saint.Man I hate messin with glass I already was on the hunt for a drivers window,If you see me asking for a 69 rear window you will know why. Dan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dan, you still need a drivers window or did you find one ? I have one 69 tinted drivers window that I dont need. mm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts