Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my headliner in and went to put the windshield back in and it is cracked, bad. It had a small crack in it when aI took it off last year and I guess the temp changes in the garage finished it off. The auto glass dealers in the area want anywhere from 250 to 300 to put one in. Rich Clarkson of Clarkson Cougars says he has one for 75, but I'll have to go to FL and get it. Has anybody put one in before and are there any "tricks of the trade" or things to watch out for? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recently had a new windshield installed in a Chevelle and it only cost $180. It was just a local installer not one of the big autoglass guys. I thought it was pretty cheap and the windshield was awesome, it had the correct tint and had the built in antenae and everything. He did say that they used different materials for installing the windshield in the old days (something about the adhesive) and if you use that the windshield can't be removed without breaking it. (or was it the new stuff that does that?) Anyway I'm sure others can add their experience. It just seems like a long trip just to get a windshield. But then again, I'd make it if it was the only recourse.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My .02c worth, and as always I stand under correction, but I have been led to believe that the old windscreens were glued in and the professionals had to be called in to remove them, and that new windscreens are put in with some type of silicon which is then moulded. This is done to prevent rusting under the rubber, but like I said, its only my .02c worth, but who know I may be right. But....I could be wrong......thereagain maybe I am right:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
THe old Ford products used a butyl ribbon sealer that was non drying and very weatherable. But it did not add a lot of strength, like the polyurethane adhesives used in new cars today. Today the windshield is part of the structural strength of the car. The original type can often be removed by using a piano wire attached to a couple of dowels and "cutting" through the old sealer.
I would prefer to stay with the original type product in my car.
Tom

·
11,000 Posts
Windshield installation

A new windshield makes the whole car look better, especially if you are driving it!

The factory shop manual gives a great step by step procedure on installing one in your 67 - 68 Cougar. Basically you lay a bead of butyl rubber sealant into the inside groove of the gasket, then install the gasket on the windshield. Next you lay a bead of sealant into the outside groove of the gasket. You install a piece of twine into the channel all the way around the gasket and tie it at the bottom center, approximately. Then situate the window so the gasket is in place on the body at the bottom. By gently pulling on the string the gasket edge curls over the body and the windshield is installed. It sounds a lot more complicated than the process really is.

Important tips would include:
1. Istall a complete new set of trim clips before installing the windshield.
2. Don't try to reuse an old gasket.
3. Install masking tape, newspaper etc. to protect the headliner and upholstery from the black gooey sealer.

Black butyl rubber sealant is available at any auto paint store or at Home Depot, Lowes and other hardware stores. The windshield trim clips are available in Dorman hardware drawers at older auto part stores or in the "Help" section at places like Pep Boys and Auto Zone.

I have installed several windshields since getting screwed by the "professional" installer was becoming a regular event. It's really easy, anyone can do a good job of it with a little patience.
Royce Peterson

·
Registered
96 Posts
Windshield

I guess your question is also where you can get glass. A question I have wanted to know is if the Mustang wndshield is the same for the Cougar. I have been led to believe it is, as is the side glass. If so, there are Mustang places close to Annapolis where you can get glass as well as from current glass replacement places.

·
11,000 Posts
Glass manufacturers

Windshields are the same for 65 - 68 Mustangs and 67 - 68 Cougars. Side door window and vent window glass is the same for 67 - 68 Mustang and Cougar. Rear quarter windows on the Mustang are different and so is the rear glass.

Carlite (the original manufacturer), LOF and PPG all still list these windshields as available. Prices vary widely. Iwas recently able to purchase a tinted windshield LOF brand for $169 after four hours of calling around the Los Angeles area. Smaller cities likely have less selection hence higher prices. I was quoted $429 for a properly date coded Carlite windshield.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I think I'll try it myself. Jim, I am fairly sure the windshield is the same as in Mustangs too. I'm not too worried about finding one. And, it's one of those "I did it myself" things. I'm considering driving down and visit Rich Clarkson in FL since I'm going to be in TN anyway. Then I can browse his stock :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Windshield

Drop me a line and I can tell you of a Mustang yard that is about 2 hours from Annapolis (near Indian Head). I forgot to ask if you are going original or not. I am rebuilding a 68 Mustang and will put new glass in it for safety reasons. Newer glass breaks up with less shards than the older glass. [email protected].

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
one more tip

I'd like to add that if you use vaseline on the rubber where it must curl over flange it doesn't pickup the sealant as much and makes the rubber transition over the flange a lot smoother.
Note sealant is not adhesive which 69/70s use on frt and sealant on rears. 67/8s use sealant not adhesive both frt and rear. About 1/4 inch bead alway around the outer edge of the flange near clips. Do a couple and you can start your own biz,lol. Catzyaz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts