Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reassemblying my car after complete restoration. Everything was removed from inside for paint and bodywork.

I think I am ready to put the front windshield and rear glass back in. Other than having the headliner and sail panels in prior to installing the glass, are there any other items that should be installed before putting the glass back in? Does the dash have to be installed prior to the windshield?

·
Registered
389 Posts
headliner and vinyl top if u have one.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
windshield and back glass trim clips.... I am pretty sure they go on under the glass.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am reassemblying my car after complete restoration. Everything was removed from inside for paint and bodywork.

I think I am ready to put the front windshield and rear glass back in. Other than having the headliner and sail panels in prior to installing the glass, are there any other items that should be installed before putting the glass back in? Does the dash have to be installed prior to the windshield?
Dash does not have to be in, but you might want to think about doing the package tray and any package tray associated work now since it is so much easier to be able to reach in through the rear window opening before the rear glass in installed.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A big thanks to all of you for the quick replies. It looks like I am good to go.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Drain tubes for rear window channel ...

Todd, I like the idea. What I assume to be the case (but you did not mention) is that the sleeves connect to lengths of tubing that dispose of any collected water to the outside of the vehicle, correct?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should I be able to see existing drain holes in the channel, or are am I supposed to add them as an improvement. I do no recall seeing any drain holes in the rear window channel.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Should I be able to see existing drain holes in the channel, or are am I supposed to add them as an improvement. I do no recall seeing any drain holes in the rear window channel.
They are an addition, to allow any water that gets down into the space between the molding, the rubber and the body channel to get out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, thanks!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Todd, I like the idea. What I assume to be the case (but you did not mention) is that the sleeves connect to lengths of tubing that dispose of any collected water to the outside of the vehicle, correct?
Yes, I stealthily routed clear tubing along the inner wheel well pinch weld seam and out through the trunk drain holes. I works perfectly to drain all water out of the window channel.

Sorry for any confusion. This is a modification to prevent any future rust issues along the bottom of the rear window channel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to bomb your thread but I am just about to try install my windshield, I'm not really sure what to do.. I have the adhesive from WCCC, I have cleaned everything and its ready to be put in. Does anyone have advice to help?
Would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank You
Brad

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brad,

If you are talking about the front WS, first lay the WS on the blocks (the two pads along the bottom edge of the opening on the top of the cowl), and center the WS side to side. Put two pieces of tape from the WS onto the cowl. Make a cut in each of the pieces of tape with a razor blade at where the WS ends and the cowl begins. These pieces of tape are guides so you can center the WS when you put it in for good. Then clean the glass well and roll out the butyl bead (is this what you bought?) around the WS, I like to join the two ends at the top. Have someone help you put it in, laying the bottom edge down first, onto the blocks. I like to use suction cups from Harbor Freight to provide handles to help hold/move and lay in the glass. Push gently around the glass to bond the buytl to the windshield opening. Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Bob,

Just to clarify, I am talking about the front windscreen.
Thank you so much for your fast reply, I am actually in South Africa so it was bed time for me and I missed your reply. I am not familiar with 'Habor Freight' but I will try get some suction cups.
I brought in 'WINDO-WELD super fast urethane' from WCCC, they sell it for the front Windshield so I assume that it will work.
Thank You so Much, That will help a lot.

Thanks again
Brad

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I went a head and did my front windshield but when i put my trim on, I have a fairly large gap between the window and the trim.. Surely this isn't correct? Thee window is like too far in, How would I have done it with the window further out? I is worth doing again?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sorry to say Brad, the reason the glass sits too low is the stuff in a tube is not the right thing to use on these windshields. This is: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=8612+01. I like to use the 5/16" stuff myself: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=8611+01. The 3/8" is a little too much and tends to squish out a little more (getting stuck to the dash and the like).

The reason your WS is too low is you cannot really build up the thickness of sealant the car is designed for using something out of a tube.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well That makes perfect sense and is an absolute disaster.. It's from WCCC though, it doesn't make sense that they would have the wrong stuff. Thanks for all your help Bob, will have to order some of that tape in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts